NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone used the Sky-Watcher SynScan WiFi Adapter in Station Mode?

PeterC65

I’ve recently bought a Sky-Watcher SynScan WiFi Adapter and want to use it in Station Mode so that it connects to my home WiFi network (BT Home Hub 6). As well as allowing me to access the internet while controlling the mount, it looks like this is the only way I will be able to get the Adapter working with SynScan Pro, SharpCap and Stellarium all running on a laptop.

I’ve connected to the Adapter in Access Point Mode using SynScan Pro, and in the WiFi settings, disabled Access Point Mode, enabled Station Mode, and entered the SSID and Password for my home WiFi. SynScan Pro tells me the configuration has been saved, and when I power cycle the Adapter the yellow LED now takes 16 seconds to illuminate, suggesting that it is attempting to join my home network and succeeding. But when I look at the devices connected to my home network the Adapter is not listed, and SynScan Pro cannot find it.

I’ve repeated this process several times with the same result, entering the SSID and Password again.

The Adapter works fine in Access Point Mode. When in this mode the yellow LED illuminates immediately showing that the Adapter is creating its own WiFi network.

Interestingly, even when the Adapter is operating in Station Mode I can still see the SSID of the WiFi Adapter listed when I scan for networks. This does allow me to gain access to the Adapter again without waiting an hour for it to factory reset.

Has anyone used the SynScan WiFi Adapter in Station Mode, ideally with a BT hub? Did you manage to get it to work? Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

I did have one connected like that a while ago. It was a pain to get it like that as I typed the password wrong and had to sit out the wait time for it to reset.

It's either faulty or the later versions allow switch back to AP mode if the station mode does not connect within a short time.

hAVE YOU CHECKED FOR BAD CAPITALS IN PASSWORD 🙃

I've reentered the SSID and password several times and returned the adapter to factory default. In Station Mode it takes 16 seconds for the yellow LED to illuminate suggesting that it is at least having a go at connecting to my home WiFi, then it broadcasts its own SSID again which FLO think means it can't connect and has gone back to Access Point Mode. If I power cycle it, it tries again with Station Mode first, then switches to Access Point Mode. So at least I can get in without waiting an hour.

As a test, you could create a wifi hotspot on your phone and enter those details in the adapter instead of your BT hub credentials.

If it connects to that ok then you know it's BT Hub related - might lead to finding a block somewhere on that?

If it doesn't connect to your phone hotspot either then a faulty adapter is looking likely.

• Like 2