Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did I photograph?

I was able to take this photo with my IPhone 13 Pro tonight - I know it is not that great, but as you can tell it was fairly cloudy and unfortunately my neighbour had their light on as well as a streetlight at the bottom of my road. Out of 17 photos, this is the best one I was able to achieve.

Despite this, I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what I was able to capture? I am completely new at this hobby, whilst I have loved astronomy for as long as I can remember, it is only recently that I have decided to start taking it seriously. As silly as it sounds, I really do not know what I am looking at in the night sky. My favourite planet is Saturn (basic, I know) and I was wondering if I was able to capture it on this photo? If not, that’s totally cool, but did I capture anything else significant?

Thank you so much - please be kind :)

The first picture is the original image, and the second picture is my attempt at editing (I set the contrast to 60 and the brightness to -60, if anyone has any tips please share them!)

IMG_7119.jpeg

IMG_7119.jpeg

If Astrometry does not work (I have had issues with it before), a bit more info would be helpful.  What time did you capture the photo? What direction were you looking (I know you mention Saturn, but want to make sure you were pointing the correct direction), and did you zoom the photo at all?  The iPhone 13 Pro camera as a field of view on the long axis of just over 100-degrees so will help us to understand how big those star patterns are so we can help you identify the field.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, saturn30 said:

I really do not know what I am looking at in the night sky.

Welcome to the forum. It would help us if you can provide a bit more information about this image - eg. where are you located, what time did you take this image and in which direction did you take this image (ie. East, West...)