NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you retract the ZWO EAF after it's been disconnected?

I managed to collect 5 hours of data on a new target last night, and of the few times I've used my ZWO EAF so far, I've always retracted the focuser back into 0 after the session before disconnecting and taking down the scope.

This morning, I forgot to do this and so it is still out at position 7000 where it was in focus all night. However, connecting up the EAF and looking through either NINA or Ascom Device Hub, they both tell me that the focuser is at position 0, when it is clearly still out at 7000.

So the software is no longer registering that the focuser is "out", and there doesn't appear to be an option to move inwards to negative values (i.e. to reset the 0 position).

Other than demounting the EAF from the focuser and manually moving it back in by hand, does anyone know if this can be done through the software? I'm a bit surprised that the EAF hasn't stored it's current position as 7000 to allow it to be retracted back to 0.

Edited by WolfieGlos

I'd need to see the NINA controls but you won't need to unmount the EAF.

Part of the setup of an EAF is to set the inner & outer limits and number of steps. And most control apps allow you to reverse the directions. If NINA/Ascom don't let you do that try ZWO ASIStudio.

I'd do a quick google for setup of the EAF for the procedure for setting/resetting the positions if I were you.

I use my EAF with an ASIAir Plus and as mentioned above you can reverse the direction of travel.  In your example above you could type in, for example, 7000 and it will essentially move the focuser back to the 'true' 0 postion. Then you can set the current position back to 0 again and unselect the reverse option.

I think all of that makes sense.....🤔

Edited by Jonny_H
  • Thanks 1

That did it, thanks Jonny. I forgot there’s an option to reverse movement in the ASI controls. 

Although it didn’t seem to like it when I then “undid” the reverse, I eventually got it sorted after taking apart the rig, bringing the scope back inside…and it then worked again. Odd.

Sometimes I think the manual bahtinov mask is just easier! Thanks again.