Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheap Camera for sky monitoring?

May not be the right place for it but here goes.

I'd like some sort of camera for monitoring sky conditions, ideally cheap as possible and that can be left outside without drowning in the lovely Welsh weather?

I'd thought of an allsky-type setup previously, but the budget doesn't allow for that at the moment.

Something simple that I can quickly check on my phone would be the ideal, WiFi coverage is decent in the garden and I have power in the shed so mains power not an issue.

Too many nights now I've been caught out by looking out of the bedroom window and realising the forecast was wrong 🤦‍♂️

Any suggestions?

The problem will be weather resistance for pretty much any, since it'll be aimed upward which isn't the normal deployment. I do have a couple on the shed, one is a small dome assembly that I fitted a small IP CCTV module (a Hik compatible little 30x30mm cube unit from Ali) into it with a fisheye lens. Needs care to get it well sealed as water running off the dome will pool where the seal is but a smidge of clear RTV helps. No need for a dew heater on that since the module runs quite warm but there is a Silica Gel sachet in there also. Can monitor it via the HikVision iVMS app on the phone/tablet or desktop since it's cable LAN connected back to the house. Not good enough to pick out the stars unless very bright but gives a view of cloud cover and direction.

The other I built using a PTZ dome assembly, bought non-working of the bay. Gutted, replacement clear dome with nitrile gasket to keep the weather out and put a HD webcam in which worked OK but not quite sensitive enough for stars. I'm considering replacing the HD webcam with a Logi C270 that I put a fisheye onto the other day but not had a chance to test its sensitivity yet. I made a dew heater using ceramic resistors for this one as the webcams don't generate enough heat. Of course you then need a way to connect to it, for which I use a USB-network server so I can link to it from my desktop and use Sharpcap as if it is a locally attached USB camera, not possible to use it via phone/tablet however.