Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Two meteors I think

Refitted my all sky camera into a new housing to remedy some dew ingress and the results of last nights timelapse shows a possible 2 meteors.  The images below are individual exposures:

Meteor2.thumb.png.b956eef55630283820984c81641dc592.pngMeteor1.thumb.png.3d32c80aebcad90e14f161c5ba0ddf39.png

I need to redo the darks as my first set somehow made the images completly black. That may have eradicated the hot pixels but at the expense of a blank image.

• Like 8

I think these are both more likely to be satellite flares than meteors. The Sun is certainly in the right place. There are no obvious meteor candidates caught by UKMON at the times of the images, although that does not necessarily mean they were not meteors.

Have you carefully checked the images either side for signs of a continuing trail?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leo S said:

I think these are both more likely to be satellite flares than meteors. The Sun is certainly in the right place. There are no obvious meteor candidates caught by UKMON at the times of the images, although that does not necessarily mean they were not meteors.

Have you carefully checked the images either side for signs of a continuing trail?

The exposures are 20s and have a pause between them, but there are no trails in the images either side that are visible.  The flares are only on a single image. I spotted them on the startrail imge and had to find the images taken by narrowing the time they appeared on the startrail and found just one.

I'm glad the title of the thread was appropriate.