Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright Meteor/Fireball 10 Sept. 01:40 UT (Sunday morning) - footage (just about!)

While perhaps not the brightest of fireballs, two of my cameras caught the start, and another small part of a very long lasting event. UKMON cameras also captured this event but in many cases the event was broken up into multiple images - for example this camera caught the majority of the event, but not the start:

M20230910_014013_wakefield_n_UK005VP.jpg

My own cameras unfortunately missed the brightest part of the event, but my upward-facing camera just caught it in a corner as it started to brighten.

The event has also generated quite a few reports from the general public.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

What a capture, very bright

Thanks. I will concede it was bright for an (almost) overhead event, but they are at their brightest when they are high in the sky.

I'm just a little peeved that it flew out of the FOV just as it started to brighten and get really interesting. The last time a camera caught a similar event was in late 2021, but under difficult conditions! This was a much more interesting event though - constantly disintegrating and flaring once it got going.

We just accepted an offer on our house, so hopefully the new house will allow me to add a few more cameras covering more sky - that is one of the things I'm looking for when searching!