Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem with Starsense mobile when using SkySafari

RobertI

I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this issue. I’ve been successfully using Starsense on my iPhone 12 for a few weeks. Recently I enabled Starsense in SkySafari 7 Pro and it worked well, but the last two times out it has been failing to find objects with the message “failed to find telescope position”. It aligns fine to start with and shows an image of the sky, but then in use, it fails with the above message. When switching over to the Starsense App it works fine, but then back to SkySafari, and it fails. I’ve tried removing all apps in memory apart from SS, but same problem. Anyone any ideas? I know in theory it’s the same code for both apps so both should work or both should fail. Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by RobertI

Ah, I think I have just solved my problem, I had still SkySafari set to the location of my recent holiday destination in Turkey, so the time and lat/long would have been wrong and possibly confused the Starsense. I’ll check next time I’m out but 99% sure this is the issue. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sojourneyer said:

why would you be running sky safari if you have the Starsense app?

Good question, the main reason is that I have a whole load of observing lists in SS that I have acquired over time (best NGCs, Herschel 400, coloured doubles, etc) and I want to be able to use these. I also enter observing reports for objects into SS sometimes. It’s my main observing planner, so being able to use it with Starsense was a godsend. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sojourneyer said:

That is a boat load of tools to use.   I would not be able to keep track of them..LOL

That’s the beauty of SkySafari, it makes it all so easy! But I understand it might be too much for many folk 🙂

• Like 1