Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daystar Quark

Altocumulus

I've had my Quark-Chromo for just over a year. There's be few really good opportunities to use it - and when I did I had my setting on zero - that is directly opposite from the light.

The last two days have given real opportunity to look at what each of the settings gave in terms of the best band.

Using a Starwave 102 f11 scope on my NEQ6-R, Pegasus focuser and Player One ApolloM-Max I tested the Quark.

These are the results, from yesterday, Tuesday - which fed on from those on Monday.

Given Tuesday showed more cirrus, than Monday (which was a full blue sky day) - I opted to start with odd settings.

On the charts +5 is equivalent to 1 o'clock (where 12 is the light). Flats were a single set of frames based on the +5. Processed in AS3 and stack results only.

OddSettings.thumb.png.6db76cbf7a4f389e30b5c59fe1e6ae80.png

By the end of the morning cloud was beginning to bubble up and the above suggested it pointless to look at the - settings. So I looked again at the +, but this time all the individuals had their own flat attached - either by de-focus, cling film or plastic bag. Processed in AS3 and stacked results only.

positives.thumb.png.894268cf7d9e6d328d0cfeb1eb06164c.png

Final images show +5 & +4, stacked in AS3, processed further in imppg & Affinity Photo 2. Natural & inverted (using imppg inv button).

54withinv.thumb.png.3fb04cff2a62a561446b0de742fdb56e.png

If there's anything I've taken from this, flats are pertinent to the image chain - any changes need their own flat (I generally abided by this anyway) and settings on the Quark need to be tested, you can easily see that the zero position is far from optimal.

Thanks for looking.....

• Like 5