NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

(solved)To transfer files from Android to Windows ?

MalcolmP

29 minutes ago, M40 said:

If you are just transfering files, use onedrive. You can stick it on your phone, tablet and pc and then just upload a file to whatever and it's then available everywhere. Hope it helps.

Thanks   but yes, sadly, more than "just" :)
I am doing this to solve locally without my slow internet, ie in seconds instead of minutes, ASTAP is indoors on my win7.
If all else fails a fallback position of smaller jpg from the camera to see how small I can go (to shorten the upload time) and still get astrometrynet online to accept them.

5 hours ago, knobby said:

having no luck contacting the author so far.

I presume that is you asking "Android app" on the ASTAP forum ?
That is the forum of Han Klein, the author of  'ASTAP,
whereas Yaz Saito appears to be the author of the 'Astap platesolver' on Google Play ??

Ah! I wonder : 
The Google app says   "this application requires downloading the star database (H17) " and "Updated on 29 Jun 2022" 
but Han recently made a whole new set of data files, and methods 
The H17 is still downloadable but prob moved the location.
How you download it and move it into the app is above my paygrade for Androidy things :)

I dont even know how to run a cmd line  cli.exe on Android :(
but the cli for widows is a doddle :)

Good news : Success :) Thanks to you all for your help.

The clouds cleared last night and I was able to test "in the wild" under real conditions and it worked well. The king-pin app was Helicon Remote as suggested by @knobby, thanks great find, it gives the user the choice of which folder to use to store the downloads. So I was able to set one that could be accessed by the wifi remote PC.

One gotcha worth mentioning for anyone following on - when HR goes to sleep it turns live view off, sensible enough on reflection, but when the tablet also went to sleep I did not see that when I broke the system down to bring indoors. Panic resulted later when I thought I had bricked the camera, it could still shoot but live view didnt work ! Eeeeek, it was some time before I discovered the setting in menu that allows lv to be disabled/enabled !! Phew! 

• MalcolmP changed the title to (solved)To transfer files from Android to Windows ?