Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob view

9 hours ago, Spile said:

I am pleased that you have sorted your mirrors. I also found that loosening the whole secondary assembly allowed me to actually visualise the intended result. 

It was more to do with the soft metal of the secondary holder how the indents can get so deep when the 3 bolts are not screwed right in I don't know. But I had the same problem on my Skywatcher 6" and 8" that's how I knew what to do. 

Thank you once again I really do appreciate it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

It was more to do with the soft metal of the secondary holder how the indents can get so deep when the 3 bolts are not screwed right in I don't know. But I had the same problem on my Skywatcher 6" and 8" that's how I knew what to do. 

Thank you once again I really do appreciate it. 

I’ve read of others who had this issue and successfully deployed the milk bottle trick. Thankfully my Skywatcher is not affected at the moment.

• Like 1

Well first time had chance to take the dob out and check the collimation which when looking through the focuser is bob on, the views where very disappointing whether it was turbulence bad seeing I dont know.

I woke this morning in serious pain so came down looked out clear Orion facing me so even though the pain was really bad I have been waiting for clear skies.

made sure starsense was aligned by using Venus which was really bright noticed some flaring thought well Venus is bright and must remember got the spider to think about over to M42 I could see the shape of the nebula but the Trapezium stars were not as good as I thought they should be its like they were just out of focus could see the four only using the 25mm but they looked soft and slightly elongated.

Over to Jupiter and it was awful just a white blob with flaring no bands nothing could see two moons. Changed to a 15mm a bit better but not great so where do I go now obviously there is something wrong, going to check collimation after again but I cannot see it being out.

Any input very welcome.

Paul 

It's not the collimation. Even if it were not spot on you'd have better views than that. Were things wobbling and boiling in the eyepiece? If so, put it down to atmospheric problems. If just blurry, it could be condensation on the mirrors. Try again on a another night.

10 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

It's not the collimation. Even if it were not spot on you'd have better views than that. Were things wobbling and boiling in the eyepiece? If so, put it down to atmospheric problems. If just blurry, it could be condensation on the mirrors. Try again on a another night.

It did look milky so I suspect your correct I just wanted confirmation from a fellow astronomer. 

Thank you really appreciate it. 

Paul 

• Like 1

It was 5am this morning and yes another thing is I hadn't given the mirror time to cool down. 

I was to eager to see if the collimation was right so all those factors didn't help, 

One good thing is Starsense was aligned really very good using Venus hopefully won't need to do that again when I take it out again. 

I'm toying with the idea of keeping it and getting the lacerta upgrade for the focuser. 

Thank you 

Paul 

• 2 months later...

Had a chance take the dob out for a couple of hours well an hour cooling down the collimation is bob on the moons craters looked better than I have ever seen them, Saturn and two moons and Jupiter lovely 4 moons and 3 bands 4 with averted.

Now do I sell or keep.

• Like 1