Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fuji FMT Binoculars Rubber Coating

Merkhet

I am psyching myself up to buying a set of Fuji FMT binoculars.

Not yet decided  which  model.

I have had a couple of binoculars  end up getting rubber rot, tacky, sticky to the touch.

I am wondering if anyone here has had this experience with the Fuji FMT binoculars?

Fuji make the same binoculars with a textured finish looking like leatherette.

I am thinking of getting the textured finish just to be on the safe side.

Anyone ever had problem with the Fuji FTR rubber coating?

I purchased the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50 in 2015. Excellent binoculars. After eight years the Fujinons re in the same condition as the day I received them. 

I considered the rubber coated version, but dismissed it as unnecessary for land based observing (more suited to marine use, wet binoculars, extra grip). The textured finish is the way to go for astronomy purposes.

You won't experience rubber rot with Fujinon binoculars, they are manufactured with top quality materials. I also own Fujinon 10x42 HC binoculars for nature and spotting astro observing targets.

The FMT 10x50's are quite heavy at 1.5kg. I use them both handheld and with a tripod (with a Fujinon tripod adaptor and joystick head). Handheld viewing can only be for short spells, after a while the weight makes holding them steady quite difficult. The stars start dancing around.

On a tripod the Fujinons excel. Nebula like M42 is well defined. Large open clusters fit very nicely in the field of view.  The 10x50's were my first observing purchase, for a year I used them to learn the constellations. 

The Fujinon FMT 7x50's will also be an excellent choice. Same quality, lighter in weight, and brighter in view. I've not used the 7x50's, but I've carried out the same research you are no doubt undertaking.

Fujinon 10 x 50 - A.jpg

Fujinon 10 x 50 - B.jpg

Fujinon 10 x 50 - C.jpg

Edited by Mr Magoo