Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ioptron HEM 15 queries (Also HEM27 - CEM28)

bomberbaz

I have my eye on this mount, lightweight, apparently tracks very well and excellent capacity so really peaking my interest.

I have found a very useful thread on CN regarding it but wondered if anyone on here has a HEM15 that they use with the ASI air plus. Anybody own an iOptron HEM15? - Mounts - Cloudy Nights

There is mention to connecting the air+ in the thread but I wasn't 100% what the contributors were referring to.

So in particular I want to clarify how do you connect the Air+ to the mount ie USB to ST4 cable / ST4 cable / a.n.other cable

Is the setup process to polar align the standard way using the phone/tablet app.

Anything else really. 

EDIT As per title I edited, this also refers to the HEM27 & CEM28 users as apparently the mount protocols are the same.

A purchase isn't imminent but just doing my homework.

Edited by bomberbaz

• bomberbaz changed the title to Ioptron HEM 15 queries (Also HEM27 - CEM28)

It works fine with the air, select hem27 as the mount option until they decide to update the mount list.

As with my gem28, you need to plug the USB cable from the hand controller into the air. I've read some people WiFi connect directly to the hand controller but I haven't tried that so can't confirm.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Elp said:

It works fine with the air, select hem27 as the mount option until they decide to update the mount list.

As with my gem28, you need to plug the USB cable from the hand controller into the air. I've read some people WiFi connect directly to the hand controller but I haven't tried that so can't confirm.

Is that an ST4 to USB cable Elp?

And what about alignment, any change to that process?

Edited by bomberbaz

For the hem15 it's the included usb b (into hand controller) to usb a (into air) cable. Once on and I check the hand controller time and location settings are correct, I simply hang the controller on my tripod and use the air from then on. Edit: the hand controller also needs its RJ cable connected to it with the other end plugged into the hbx connection on the mount as well as the usb cable into the air, if using the mount manually with just the hand controller you only need the RJ cable.

PA is the same in the air. The altitude knob is a bit odd as they designed the thread it connects to into two separate pieces top and bottom which the adjustment knob acts as a coupler, so if you need to reverse direction with the knob there's a very slight dead point when you turn it until it engages with the threads of either the top or bottom thread. It's still accurate enough. The azimuth lock knobs do tend to knock the alignment out, I simply very very lightly engage them to the point they're practically loose, PA/star trails don't get affected even after multiple slews or meridian flips (my gem28 is similar, I only slightly hand tighten those azimuth locking bolts too).

The fixed altitude range adjustment is fiddly, definitely don't try changing this in the dark, but once done it's set. I would have preferred the am3/5 type full 90 degree range of adjustment but how often am I going to need this, probably never. The mount is small enough that I can leave it at its set altitude when packing away, and how many mounts can you store within your scope bag and carry it all out as one package, I doubt theres many, it's even more convenient than my trusty azgti as they're no counterweights needed (as long as your tripod legs splay enough to hold the load balance, its actually a check you can carry out to fully move the payload east and west to make sure it doesn't fall over).

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1