Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky-Watcher EQ3-2 mount with EQ5 tripod - anyone know real world payload weight?

I know the this is not a cheap hobby and being a pensioner makes getting the ideal kit out of reach sometimes - my aim is to use a second hand SW EQ3-2 mount which I already have; replace the spindly and sticking tripod with a SW EQ5 tripod in order to increase the payload capacity to accept a SW150 PDS reflector - hopefully without wobbling all over the place. I intend to use Onstep controller and motors on the mount which have themselves depleted the bank balance somewhat resulting in my current search for a cost effective design.

Question 1 ) I can't find any quoted payload capacity for such a melange of kit. Does anyone know what it might be?

I have read advice somewhere on the net that useable payload weight shouldn't exceed 60% of manufacturers max quoted payload weight in the real world to result in a steady mount.

Question 2 ) Is this the general consensus of the Lounge or should I miss another year to save for an EQ5 mount and tripod?

Is this for visual or imaging use? The manufacturers may quote for visual use, or for both. Suggested loadings for imaging are much lower.

An EQ-5 will take about 9Kg for visual use.  I put a 200p Newt on an EQ-5 and it wasn't too bad (for visual use).

Logically, if you look up the load capacity of an EQ3-2, the load capacity of your proposed combo with be somewhere between that figure and 9Kg (for visual use).

If your aim is imaging with the 150PDS, then forget the EQ3-2 and start saving for a proper mount.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dobbie said:

hi there is another option that is to change the 150pds to a 130pds which would sit nicely on the eq3.. just a thought, 

I started off with a 130pds on an eq3 and it could just about cope with AP but it was right at the quoted limit for the mount and I couldn't get guiding to work well with it at all.

I would definitely save up for the best mount you can rather than downgrade the scope to try to make the eq3 work a bit better.  Less frustration longterm!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uk_friendly_fire said:

Thanks Dobbie, an idea to be considered. I have a SW heritage flextube 130 and am suffering aperture fever. Naturally I my mindset was get BIGGER. Your suggestion is likely to be the way forward for me if a noticeable image improvement will result.

You do not need large aperture for imaging, unless you want to image small objects at large image scale. Look at the small refractors that some imagers use. Exposure time makes objects brighter.

• Thanks 1

The Eq3 has a capacity of 5kg, or just the 150pds by itself. The problem with this mount is that it has no load carrying bearings. In stead it relies on teflon washers and the black grease it comes with. I think that with a sturdy tripod and new motors, the load capacity is only marginally affected. But, use it as is and gain experience. In a year or two you’ll be in a better position to specify what you want. The eq3 is a nice grab and go mount for a lightweight setup, with maybe a 60-70mm refractor, so very well something you may wish to keep.

• Like 1