Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3D Printed Starsense Finder Shoe Mount

Ratlet

There was one up on Printables already but having tried it, it was a bit rough (didn't fit well, edges were a bit sharp) so I've done a more refined version.  Friction fit's pretty well and pretty darn solid.  Dovetail and bracket are separate so you could really mount it to anything that'll take an M5 bolt.

STL can be found here:

https://www.printables.com/model/559841-starsense-explorer-finder-shoe-mount

PXL_20230821_182557419.jpg

PXL_20230821_182632172.jpg

One thing to point out is that the top face and the internal bottom face are at an angle and if you print this 'normally' ie with the bottom external face on the print plate, then the internal and top face can look a bit rough.  You can get around this (in prusa slicer) by using the 'print on face' command to select the top face, then rotating it 180 degrees so the bottom is now towards the plate. It will be hovering so print with support on build plate only enabled.  This will align the internal and top face with the print face and give it a nicer finish at the expense of the bottom external face which will be a bit rough, but nobody will see it.

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 3

Final revisions.

I tried the Flat bottom design out and it made getting into the bolt on the finder shoe a bit awkward.  I've sloped the base now so it is easer to access.  Also modified the dovetail so there is an additional 2mm height for screwing together.  Makes it a lot easier to access the bolt.

IMG_20230822_135800.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently doing a redesign which I'll hopefully finish in the next couple weeks (I'm working at the moment).

Basically making a bracket to allow mounting from the side.  Should be useful for scopes where the finder shoe is mounted side ways (say on tube rings on an alt az mount).

Basic idea is to have the finder shoe bracket be molded around the nubbin for the retaining bolt on the side.  Should keep it aligned perfectly and be secure.

Also adapting it to use brass threaded inserts because I think they look right proper bo.

SIDEMOUNT.JPG.7db9ac1a9a9f84d33390cfcf5f97a6cd.jpeg

• Like 2

Prototype finished.

PXL_20230906_145510022.thumb.jpg.c2cdcd404cb7692af84dfd58ec609b83.jpg

I'm going to refine the design as the sloped design means the side mounting brackets are not symmetrical.  Will get it so it can be swapped over.

EDIT:  tested it mounted side saddle on the ST80 because it's the only thing I've got to test it on.

PXL_20230906_145452142.thumb.jpg.f3a57ae6f5aea9cf0bb737cb9b2cde2f.jpg

Screenshot from the Starsense app.  Telescope was focused on the flagpole tippy top so plenty of clearance.

Screenshot_20230906-155301.png

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 1

What software are you using for the design?

Have you considered a more modular design, where the cradle/holster stays the same but different connectors bolt on the base for a standard finder shoe, left/right side connection etc?

With a securing bolt either side (only one used depending on the side fitting) with the 'proper bo' brass inserts too.😉

16 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

What software are you using for the design?

Have you considered a more modular design, where the cradle/holster stays the same but different connectors bolt on the base for a standard finder shoe, left/right side connection etc?

With a securing bolt either side (only one used depending on the side fitting) with the 'proper bo' brass inserts too.😉

I'm using fusion 360 for design.

The design is going to be completely modular once I'm finished.  The basic cradle can be be mounted side saddle or from the bottom.

At the moment I'm not too far from that.  Mirror symmetry being the only current issue.

Current design has focused on using nuts rather than inserts as these are more readily available and easier to use.  Also simpler for prototyping designs.

• Like 1

I have Fusion 360 as well but a bit rusty so have been using Tinkercad and finishing in Fusion to tidy up the STL files. I used brass inserts for the cradle locking screw and for the parts where they are assmbled/disassebled for changing the footer part from dovetail to finder shoe.

Really like the idea of the side attachment. In my head I had the side connection being an attachment under the bottom of the base holder but your design is better imo.  I mentioned modular before as  had not realised the side mount you made was a modular one - I thought the side mount findershoe was part of the print and not an bolt-on.

46 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Really like the idea of the side attachment. In my head I had the side connection being an attachment under the bottom of the base holder but your design is better imo.  I mentioned modular before as  had not realised the side mount you made was a modular one - I thought the side mount findershoe was part of the print and not an bolt-on.

I think that would have been easier than what I came up with but I like to make it difficult for myself lol.