Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution filter for white light and sky glow

Kluson

Hi all ,

If I look at the light pollution map it shows our location as Bortle 4, however we have a haulage company not so far away who has its flood lights on all night! As well as our Neighbours recent garden lighting acquisition 😞

In reality we are probably more like a 5 In order to avoid the Haulage lamp glow we face more towards our local town which then gives us a white sky glow. We can  have a kindly word with our neighbours so we can probably discount the polution caused by them. We are using a modified DSLR with the IR cut filter removed. I am thinking about perhaps a Filter to improve things a little. Given our circumstances and camera what filter do you guys think would be best suited for us?. We photograph mainly Nebulae ( all types) Globular clusters and Galaxies. Occasionally planets and the Moon. We are using a Celestron Nexstar 6SE with the 6.3 Focal reducer giving us F6.3  945mm  along with a F6  360mm ED doublet refractor with a field flattener. Is there an all round  filter which would help, without breaking the bank. We are thinking along the lines of a 1.25 or 2 inch filter rather than a clip in , as at some stage we will upgrade the DSLR  to an Astro camera still probably OSC. I know we are asking a lot but I am sure there are others in a similar situation who have managed to overcome this problem.

Hope you can help

I am glad you asked this as I am also interested in this kind of advice for my

Sky-Watcher  SKYMAX-102 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope OTA
102mm, f/13, F / 1300mm
Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
1.25"/31.7mm Star Diagonal

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ashes said:

I am glad you asked this as I am also interested in this kind of advice for my

Sky-Watcher  SKYMAX-102 Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope OTA
102mm, f/13, F / 1300mm
Eyepieces Supplied (1.25"): 10mm & 25mm
1.25"/31.7mm Star Diagonal

I would think that there are quite a few who need this sort of advice, Hopefully we can get some pointers