NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Snail slime on corrector plate

Hi Guys,

Whilst setting up for observing tonight, I was checking the scope's collimation using a defocused star, when I noticed something moving. Then when I went to the front of the scope I found a snail crawling across the corrector plate!!!!!@@@@ arghhhh.

This left a trail that was obvious on my defocused star image. So now I have to clean my corrector plate, which I was soon going to need to do anyway. The BIG question is what the hell will get snail/slug slime off my corrector, That slime is one of the hardest things to get off your hands, so I guess it's not going to come off my corrector all that easily.

If anyone has had a similar experience and had success in removing the slime I would greatly appreciate some advice.

This is one of the problems of leaving a scope outside under a scopecoat in a damp old place like the UK, I guess!

Regards

Ian

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear you got slimed, and I hope that someone shares a remedy. I have a suggestion to prevent further incidents: Consider wrapping a length of copper tape around the OTA near the corrector plate. Snails and slugs are averse to copper, so this should keep them off your optics.

• Like 1

This might seem a little grotesque, but some years back I had exactly the same problem. Baader Wonderfluid and soapy water did not help, but in the end saliva did! 😱🤢.  Give the Wonderfluid a go first by all means, but if it doesn’t work, a bit of spit might well help as it did in my case!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iandh said:

Hi Guys,

Whilst setting up for observing tonight, I was checking the scope's collimation using a defocused star, when I noticed something moving. Then when I went to the front of the scope I found a snail crawling across the corrector plate!!!!!@@@@ arghhhh.

This left a trail that was obvious on my defocused star image. So now I have to clean my corrector plate, which I was soon going to need to do anyway. The BIG question is what the hell will get snail/slug slime off my corrector, That slime is one of the hardest things to get off your hands, so I guess it's not going to come off my corrector all that easily.

If anyone has had a similar experience and had success in removing the slime I would greatly appreciate some advice.

This is one of the problems of leaving a scope outside under a scopecoat in a damp old place like the UK, I guess!

Regards

Ian

When I came in last night I discovered a large slug on my sketching tray. Less annoying than slime on the optics. 

Hydrogen Peroxide will shift it.  The mucus from snails is not just a locomotion 'lubricant', it's also used by the snail to stick to vertical surfaces so it's essentially an adhesive.  Low strength hydrogen peroxide will do the job, also perfect for fungus blooms. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Many thanks. I have just received some 99.9% isopropyl so I think that i may try with a long soak in soapy water and it that doesn't shift it I'll move on to some diluted isopropyl. I'll keep you posted, hopefully I will find some time this coming week.