Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacement primary cell screw for 130PDS?

Hi all,

I just had a bit of a mare with the external screws that hold the primary cell in place which I've just fixed. One of them had stripped but after about 30 minutes of panic, I finally got it out. Now, of course, I need a new screw. So, does anyone know please which are the right screws for the job? I'm talking the ones that secure the primary cell - see photo (complete with stripped screw that has since been dislodged!)

Actually, thinking about this some more, if anyone knows the size and pitch, I might invest in something more robust.

IMG_20230816_115320946.thumb.jpg.72cff2da39648b727edcf369304bc8c9.jpg

Thanks, Brendan

Edited by BrendanC

5 minutes ago, BrendanC said:

Good point, but it really was the head of the screw that was the issue. It had been dodgy for a while 

Dome head socket ("Allen") or Torx screws would be my preference for replacements, but not in stainless steel as it reacts with aluminium.

Argh, I did not know this. I'll try and cancel the order! What material would be best? 

And in fact, seeing as I'm clueless with this sort of thing, if you could provide a link to what I need, that would be amazing.

Edited by BrendanC

To be honest, because you have steel in the tube and an alloy of some sort for the mirror cell, trying to prevent galvanic corrosion completely is tricky. One or other will be affected. Chrome plated mild steel is probably as good as anything - which I believe is what SW normally use. SS is probably the worse choice.

Not sure how strong they are, but you could try nylon.

Edited by Clarkey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BrendanC said:

I've used GWR before without problem.  Accu.co.uk also do M4 alluminium bolts, but the shortest they do is 10mm.

I'm not sure that mixing aluminium and stainless steel would be a big problem in your case, as there isn't going to be much force applied, and anyway you can get anti-galling compound (often called anti-seize compound).

• Like 1