Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tents as observatory?

Chaz2b

I'm looking to get a tent to act an observatory when camping.

I've seen tents that are designed for the job but boy are they expensive! Now I'm a cheap skate so I am looking for a particular design that could fit the bill. I have a Coleman dark tent but it's too low, I want hight too.

The various designs I've looked into include fishing bivvies!

Has anyone also taken this route to protect and serve, other than American cops, lol

chaz

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Like 1

If it's just to cover the scope when not in use in case of rain then the simple pop-up toilet/shower tent does the job. I also have the Explore Scientific pop-up observatory tent and as a wind/light shield it works very well, though I've never used the 2nd room or the tarp as yet.

IMG_4058.JPG

IMG_4079.JPG

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaz2b said:

I'm looking to get a tent to act an observatory when camping.

I've seen tents that are designed for the job but boy are they expensive! Now I'm a cheap skate so I am looking for a particular design that could fit the bill. I have a Coleman dark tent but it's too low, I want hight too.

The various designs I've looked into include fishing bivvies!

Has anyone also taken this route to protect and serve, other than American cops, lol

chaz

Maybe something like this? https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15903164/hi-gear-annex-utility-tent-15903164

Or if you are looking for protection from the breeze while observing maybe one of these - https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/camping/tent-accessories/windbreaks/

• Like 1

I have a proper camping observatory not as expensive as the Kendrick tents but was about £180.  Not sure howveasy it is to find them now though.  I use it ar astro camps.  Originally bought from Astrograph. 

It has a removable roof and built in floor  

image.thumb.jpeg.690a9151ee7622f32a7e96f9679579d3.jpeg

Edited by carastro
  • Like 4

The explore scientific is a little pricey for me, but it’s in the right colour.

The annex utility is a good candidate, nice height but I wonder if I can dye it black?

ooh! I like your Astro tent, but still it’s double the annex price even if I could find one!

I bought a length of black cloth that a friend said is willing to sew in some pole sleeves, and then dip it in a water repellant.   All I need is a cheap seaside wind break just for the poles.

I did buy a toilet/ utility tent but it’s too small in foot area to be of use, perhaps a toilet? Maybe..

The other potential utility tent is by Wynnster, used one for sale is around £85 but I’d need to travel for that, similar colours to the annex.

chaz

If you did decide to get it l recommend adding a 10” pelmet around the “roof” as l have done aa existing oneis too skimpy.   I also added clips to hold it diwn and they make it easy to put back on in the dark.  

Edited by carastro

FWIW I've seen a few DeepSkyDude videos on YouTube where he covers the Texas star party, Okie Tex etc and a few guys there had essentially PVC pipe as a frame, and some kind of fabric for the "walls". It would mean more planning and fettling on your part but you could make any shape or size you wanted and without tapping into that precious astro money! 

22 hours ago, carastro said:

If you did decide to get it l recommend adding a 10” pelmet around the “roof” as l have done aa existing oneis too skimpy.   I also added clips to hold it diwn and they make it easy to put back on in the dark.  

Nice idea, but not for me, need something a little simpler, easier, hence utility as most of them are quick to put up.