NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for advice on where to sell my astronomy equipment

moggi1964

Since moving back from the USA in 2015 I have simply not made use of my Astro gear. I have returned to photography (regular not Astro) and so it's time for me to move my stuff along to someone who will use it.

I have listed a few items on Astrobuysell and on the UK photography fora I am a member of but am looking for other suggestions.  I used to sell on Astromart and Cloudynights in the USA so wondered if there are equivalent fora here (I don't see a classifieds on here).

I do have an EBay account here in the UK but that can be more hassle than it is worth.

I appreciate any suggestions you can put forward. Are there any Astrojumble sales in the NorthWest that anyone knows about? I have been to a few photography ones but can't see any Astro ones.

BTW: in the US I ran Astrolaugh.com which Astronomy sold t-shirts and was known on the fora there as moggi1964. I also co-ran APMamerica.

Thanks for looking.

The UK Astro Buy & Sell website is your best outlet here in the UK I think. There is a classifieds section on this forum but there are access rules as set out in the Code of Conduct for the forum:

"The Buy & Sell section
Access to SGL's buy and sell section is a privilege that has to be earned, You can do this by accumulating 50 posts to view / buy from the classifieds and 250 posts to place an advert in the classifieds.
This has been initiated so that people can't just join the forum so they can off load or buy up astronomy equipment.
Posting an advert on behalf of someone who is not a member of SGL or on behalf of a member not entitled to post an advert is not permitted.
Linking to an external site to highlight an item you have for sale is not permitted on our boards.
Please note that the Buy & Sell section is primarily for our members personal "astronomical" equipment.
Any commercial use of this section will have to be cleared by Admin PRIOR to any sales activity."

• Like 1

Just now, John said:

The UK Astro Buy & Sell website is your best outlet here in the UK I think. There is a classifieds section on this forum but there are access rules as set out in the Code of Conduct for the forum:

"The Buy & Sell section
Access to SGL's buy and sell section is a privilege that has to be earned, You can do this by accumulating 50 posts to view / buy from the classifieds and 250 posts to place an advert in the classifieds.
This has been initiated so that people can't just join the forum so they can off load or buy up astronomy equipment.
Posting an advert on behalf of someone who is not a member of SGL or on behalf of a member not entitled to post an advert is not permitted.
Linking to an external site to highlight an item you have for sale is not permitted on our boards.
Please note that the Buy & Sell section is primarily for our members personal "astronomical" equipment.
Any commercial use of this section will have to be cleared by Admin PRIOR to any sales activity."

The qualifying requirements have changed, see my post.

• Thanks 1

If you want to sell this week. astrobuysell UK.
If you want hassle, ebay.

If you want to deal with friendly and interesting people, sell on SGL.
When selling I know the SGL member will be in the community, and I want to remain in the community. Equipment defects must be declared🤥
SGL is always my first call when buying. From a buyer perspective I can look at seller history.
Does the member contribute to discussions?
Does he sell a different scope every week, claiming to have have used it for a year and thoroughly enjoyed the views?
Just my take on it.

As for an astrojumble. They don't seem to happen - or if they do, nobody has told me🤔!

• Like 3

I'd +1 for selling on SGL first, Astrobuysell UK second, and Ebay a very distant third.

Unless what you are selling is much in demand, or very cheap, things don't always sell very quickly, but they do sell eventually. Everything on SGL / ABS runs on trust, but this seems to keep things running on a far more civil level than the ebay system, whose USP is that people can't trust one another. As @Carbon Brush says, you can check people's history on all of these platforms, and you generally get a better idea on SGL - and to some extent ABS - of who you are dealing with.

• Like 2

As has been said the Classified section here is the first choice but I have extensively used Facebook marketplace. There are 2 groups that are exclusively UK based and you can find them easily enough, both seem well moderated.

Of course if you don't/won't use Facebook which is perfectly understandable then the other options can be explored. eBay is a dogs dinner and IMHO best avoided.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 19:31, LaurenceT said:

As has been said the Classified section here is the first choice but I have extensively used Facebook marketplace. There are 2 groups that are exclusively UK based and you can find them easily enough, both seem well moderated.

Of course if you don't/won't use Facebook which is perfectly understandable then the other options can be explored. eBay is a dogs dinner and IMHO best avoided.

I have looked on the FB Marketplace before for things but never actually sold on there. Something to keep in the back pocket.

I seem to be stuck on 12 posts so it could be a while before I am able to add a few things to the classifieds here. 😇

• Like 1

On 08/08/2023 at 17:43, Cornelius Varley said:

To sell on SGL you need a minimum 30 days membership and more than 25 posts.

Peter, it says it is visible to guests bur I can't seem to find it. Am I just being thick? Feel free to say 'yes' 🤪

1 minute ago, moggi1964 said:

Peter, it says it is visible to guests bur I can't seem to find it. Am I just being thick? Feel free to say 'yes' 🤪

The buy/sell section used to be visible guests but this was stopped due to scammers. Please read the notice again, the buy/sell section is now only open to members with at least 30 days membership and more than 25 posts. Once you have reached the requirements the buy/sell section will become visible to you.

59 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The buy/sell section used to be visible guests but this was stopped due to scammers. Please read the notice again, the buy/sell section is now only open to members with at least 30 days membership and more than 25 posts. Once you have reached the requirements the buy/sell section will become visible to you.

Giot it! Thanks Peter, I was being thick 😀