NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

STARSENSE EXPLORER - PHONE DISPLAY OF SKY DOESNT KEEP UP WITH THE SCOPES MOVEMENT, ANY IDEAS?

I recently bought a used phone as a spare to use with my Starsense Explorer 10 inch Dob. It's an Oppo A53, and is a supported camera and is on Celestrons approved list. (Under its model number as many of them are, not as an A54).

It sets up OK and it does work - with one caveat. When you push it toward an object, the position on the sky  on the phone's display doesn't keep up with the actual position that the scope is pointing to, and this is however  slowly you push the scope.  If the display is on the target it will indicate this is the case as it should - but if you try and push it, it's so slow to respond on the display you will be past the target before the phone display has changed virtually.

I am pretty certain it must be the phone's camera settings, since if you pretend to set it up indoors and move the phone around, the display changes as fast as it should do when the phone is moved.

I remember ages ago reading that if a certain camera setting is not switched off (or on!) it may present a similiar problem, though I may have got this wrong and I can't remember what it was anyway!

If anyone  more savvy with phone's than me (which is just about anyone!) can suggest what the setting might be I'd be very grateful to hear from you.  Of course, I can use my usual phone, but its rather irritating to me that I can't figure what the problem is.  Probably something amazingly simple 🙂.

It looks like clear sky until 3am tonight so can try it out if anyone has any suggestions. Many thanks for reading this, if there's anyone still awake!  Many thanks, Paul

I don't think you can use the indoor test as a guide since the app usues plate-solving to identify where it's pointing. In a real situation the app can lose it's position (and it tells you so) but it quickly re-solves and updates.

If it's a used phone you could try resetting the camera as shown here.

Many thanks Stevie.  I'll bear that in mind.  I'll do a re- set if all else fails, thanks for your time.  At least I can still use my other phone so I wont miss out on any clear sky 🙂.

I've had the dob over a year, and am aware of its plate-solving - but didn't stop to think that it won't be working in the daytime 😏.  Thanks again.

Edited by paulastro

18 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

It’s definitely your phone/camera that is lagging. The Oppo A53 is known to become slow and laggy with age unfortunately. As already advised a phone/camera full reset may be advantageous.

Many thanks bosun21.  From what yourself and Stevie Dvd said, it does sound as if a re-set may do the trick.  I think I probably made a mistake in downloading all the apps from my existing phone - I only want it to use Starsense so hopefully there's a way of doing this without the whole lot downloading again.  I think I'll wait until I'm feeling really brave! 🙂.