Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations on a scope

Hello friends, I am fairly new to astrophotography. I currently use my canon rebel t7 DSLR with a 75-300mm kit lens mounted on a skywatcher 2i pro tracker. I'm looking for hopefully more zoom as the 75-300mm isn't great for a lot of the smaller objects in the sky and it looks like a small telescope to mount on the tracker will be the cheapest way to get more zoom.

The maximum weight for the star tracker is 11 pounds and my DSLR with no lens attached weighs almost exactly 1 pound. I would really just be looking for a scope that's pretty light that I could hook my dslr up to. Any suggestions? 

There are plenty of small scopes that would fit the brief, depending on your budget and requirements. As long as you get an ED doublet as a minimum to keep CA at bay. I would add that pushing the focal length too far will probably be a stretch for your mount.

The SW 72 ED is a good little scope, but will only only add marginally to the FL. However, beyond this you are probably looking at a new EQ mount.

• 2 weeks later...

We started in the same way with star adventurer and a DSLR with a kit zoom then we got a little scope from RVO the Horizon 60ED. Has seen us through and got us started.. The thing to do is start!  Our first pictures with DSLP and lens were also ok, as I said it got us started.

There's a massive difference in quality when moving from a zoom kit lens to an actual scope. As already mentioned, go for something with ED glass and a good focuser. The 72ED might be a bit heavy for the mount as you'll also need a field flattener. A 60/65 doublet or triplet will work but will only give you a bit more focal length. 

That said, you'll be amazed how good things will look, even if you need to crop your pictures a lot. Dithering (during capturing) and drizzling (during preprocessing) will help a lot in this scenario.