Steeltrack 100ed fitting issue

In need of assistance. I own a skywatcher f9 100ed. I recently purchased a used steel track and adaptor ring for my scope. This was fitted to an 80ed prior to my purchase. 
My understanding is that the 80ed and 100ed have the same tube diameter so it should fit my 100ed but it won’t. 
Given the former owner didn’t have an issue I am concerned that the tolerance on my 100ed is out. 
I have seen a review on FLO for a skywatcher focuser upgrade stating it was but snug to fit to an ED scope. So potentially that’s another example of this issue. Has anyone else had similar issue? I don’t want to force it and I’m not keen on lubricants given optics etc. any advice appreciated. 
apologies if this isn’t in the correct forum. 
Thanks.  

I bought a new diamond track for my SW Startravel 150/F5 a few months back.  I guess the same/v similar products?  I had to sand with fine sandpaper the inside of the OTA to get the ring to fit.  It really is only the depth of the paint I removed to insert the ring.  It definitely would not go in otherwise!  Have the OTA focusser end down and  stuff the OTA with paper kitchen towel to stop filings going where not intended - and a vacuum cleaner to suck any stuff out.

Thanks for the responses. Can confirm that yes the focuser has the detachable collar for fitting to the ota tube. This should fit as it did fit to an 80ed. Am told it was all purchased new in April this year and have no reason to doubt. 

windjammer I think I saw your post on the sanding unless it was another member. Got to be honest not keen on that. Think if that’s the only option I will sell the focuser on and put the money toward my next eyepiece. I realise the ota is made in china but really thought QC there these days would prevent these issues. 

grateful of anyone else with advice though suspect the horse I’m flogging is dead. 

13 hours ago, ED Splitter said:

Thanks for the responses. Can confirm that yes the focuser has the detachable collar for fitting to the ota tube. This should fit as it did fit to an 80ed. Am told it was all purchased new in April this year and have no reason to doubt. 

windjammer I think I saw your post on the sanding unless it was another member. Got to be honest not keen on that. Think if that’s the only option I will sell the focuser on and put the money toward my next eyepiece. I realise the ota is made in china but really thought QC there these days would prevent these issues. 

grateful of anyone else with advice though suspect the horse I’m flogging is dead. 

I fitted a Steeltrack to my 80ed a couple of years ago and remember it being problematic. I had to drill out  two of the screws holding the Skywatcher focuser in place, and then the Steeltrack adapter ring was a tight fit. I have been very pleased with the focuser since it was fitted - a definite step up from the standard focuser. 

If you haven't thought about it, check how much you can sell the stock focuser for - my sold for around £85 which was a welcome discount on the Steektrack purchase price!

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

I fitted a Steeltrack to my 80ed a couple of years ago and remember it being problematic. I had to drill out  two of the screws holding the Skywatcher focuser in place, and then the Steeltrack adapter ring was a tight fit. I have been very pleased with the focuser since it was fitted - a definite step up from the standard focuser. 

If you haven't thought about it, check how much you can sell the stock focuser for - my sold for around £85 which was a welcome discount on the Steektrack purchase price!

Thanks for the response. I think this makes 5 examples where a synta scope has issues with an upgrade to the focuser. Very concerning I’m not the only one. QC an issue with synta, disappointing as they are far from cheap scopes these days. 
I have message FLO, will report back what they say for future reference should anyone else encounter such an issue. 
If anyone else encounters such an issue it would be good to get a response to record for future purchasers of synta products that may run into similar issues. 
Thanks all for the responses. 

You could try the old engineers hot/cold trick:

If you put just the adapter part (not the whole focuser) in the freezer for an hour or two. And, just before getting it out, gently warm the end of the scope tube with a hair dryer. You may be able to insert the adapter, but they soon equalise to room temp so it needs to be done quickly if it works.

9 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

You could try the old engineers hot/cold trick:

If you put just the adapter part (not the whole focuser) in the freezer for an hour or two. And, just before getting it out, gently warm the end of the scope tube with a hair dryer. You may be able to insert the adapter, but they soon equalise to room temp so it needs to be done quickly if it works.

I think I may have used a hair dryer on the scope to fit the adapter. I remember getting very hot fingers but can't remember whether that was fitting the new adapter or trying to remove the original focuser (before drilling out the screws)

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. Is there any risk of causing damage to the tube this way or affecting the collimation? As I understand it the collimation in the synta Ed line relies on the tube holding the elements in place rather than a screw or separate lens assembly. 

45 minutes ago, ED Splitter said:

Thanks for the tips. Is there any risk of causing damage to the tube this way or affecting the collimation? As I understand it the collimation in the synta Ed line relies on the tube holding the elements in place rather than a screw or separate lens assembly. 

I would not heat the scope tube up that much  - just a bit warmer than room temp, not hot to touch.  It should not cause any issues as long as you don't go overboard with the heating. Yo would probably get the same effect from a dew heater wrapped around a scope and that's done by many people with all kinds of scopes.

It is best if the focuser is a tight fit.  The screws won't have to try too hard to keep the focuser flopping around.  I think I read about the sanding in the reviews for the steeltrack on the FLO web site!  Obviously a bit of an issue if the OTA is a premium item...

I am pretty happy with the focuser since fitting - it has resolved a whole bunch of issues with trailing in long exposures.