Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick question about amount of usb's.

Hello

I'm currently trying to.modernise my imaging rig. Iv recently bought a mele quiter mini pc. Which has x4 usb ports. Iv currently got X1 connected for my guide scope, X1 for my Atik main imaging camera, X1 for my mount through ascom. Now I'm thinking off adding an electronic autofocuser and electronic filter wheel. Which I'm assuming will require another x2 usb connections? Any way round this? Most pcs don't have more than x4 usb Ports or am I missing something? 

I host a number of remote imaging rigs and, without hesitation, I would say, If you can, just go for a desktop PC on site with as many USB connections as you need.  I have replaced an inordinate number of scope-top mini-computers and hubs but big desktops with direct USBs just get on with it.

Olly

• Like 1

Olly as much as I respect you and keep you in the highest regard as one of the best imagers on here, for the last 10 years iv been  an 'outside cold and dark sky' imager (prob not the best one self admittedly due to the cold') you can see the irony in this. I used to live 3 up in a flat/ apartment. Have all my gear packed in Alu cases. Bring  some hot soup and sandwiches and set out on a 1 hour journey to my favoured dark sky. When I had free time I used to make a day/night of it. The cold beating me only. I think the remote imager it's turned me more into a computer student! My background is heavy engineering. I know more hours on a target give better results... and if you can do that when your asleep is a bonus. For sure.  I'm going to pursue the remote computer set up.  Do miss looking at the sky from a dark site and making a day of it. Even if my images are hours shy. So.... Got a house with a garden so trying to image with remote laptop to my mini pc. Do have a desktop but upstairs it's windows 7 and old. Appreciate what your saying about reliability though. 

10 hours ago, Astroblagger said:

Olly as much as I respect you and keep you in the highest regard as one of the best imagers on here, for the last 10 years iv been  an 'outside cold and dark sky' imager (prob not the best one self admittedly due to the cold') you can see the irony in this. I used to live 3 up in a flat/ apartment. Have all my gear packed in Alu cases. Bring  some hot soup and sandwiches and set out on a 1 hour journey to my favoured dark sky. When I had free time I used to make a day/night of it. The cold beating me only. I think the remote imager it's turned me more into a computer student! My background is heavy engineering. I know more hours on a target give better results... and if you can do that when your asleep is a bonus. For sure.  I'm going to pursue the remote computer set up.  Do miss looking at the sky from a dark site and making a day of it. Even if my images are hours shy. So.... Got a house with a garden so trying to image with remote laptop to my mini pc. Do have a desktop but upstairs it's windows 7 and old. Appreciate what your saying about reliability though. 

I'm no longer up all night myself (Doctor's orders) so all my imaging is now done by automated remote control. My only point, here, was that I've not found mini scope-top PCs and hubs to be as reliable as good old desktops with plenty of USB ports. This solution won't always be appropriate, though, as I understand.

Olly

• Thanks 1

Olly I totally understand. And I hope your health is ok. Kind of miss looking up into the black abiss on my own from a remote site. Totally get your point. I used to make sure my 5 min subs weren't hampered by clouds etc. And make sure my wee netbook was ticking along well enough I never had any issues ever using that dl set up so I suppose your right. All the best Duncan. 

• Like 1