Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can I use my 72ed without flatterner/corrector

Hi, I have a 72ed with a .8x focal reducer, I was going to give it a try without the focal reducer to see what kind of field of view I'll get but has anyone done this and what sort of image would you get. I know there will be no flattening or correction but was curious how bad the image would actually be

Try it. It will work, but the degree of distortion will depend on how large your camera sensor is. Whether it is acceptable is a personal thing, but you will get distortion on the outer stars. You may find you have to crop the image to compensate for the poor outer stars - which then defeats the point.... FLO do a well priced 1x flattener that I have used and works pretty well:

StellaMira 2" Field Flattener with T / M42 Adapter | First Light Optics

• Like 1

The canera i have is an asi183mc pro.

Cropping the images does bother me at all, I want to try it without the reducer so I can get a smaller field of view so giving it a crop after will aid in my framing. I want to get some shots of m81 and m82 but currently don't have my 6"sct set up. I can swap everything over but just wondered if I needed to.

If you are going to crop the potentially distorted corners anyway,  just shoot away without the reducer. You'll get a little more resolution and lose no time. This is 'F ratio myth' territory so, briefly, the reducer will bring in no more object photons for objects which fit on the chip without it.

Olly

I have the same setup as you and added the stellamira FF  but sadly weather has kyboshed my efforts to get any decent levels of data. WHat I did manage showed promise but that's all I can say. 

But for 79 quid get it. FLO offer the returns policy. Reason I avoided the 0.8 version you alluded to is I want the narrower fov too.

• Like 1