NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A nostalgic Lagoon

CCD Imager

I thought it was about time I processed this nebula. In 2004, I visited friends in South Africa on a long family holiday, but managed to hide a G11, Tak SKY90 and ST10 in the hold baggage, I think my wife was too busy with our 5 year old twins at the time :)

In those good old days, we only took short exposures, so total exposure was just under 3 hours, but the Lagoon was riding high over head in fairly dark skies.

The ST10 did not have ABG so I was confronted with many bloomed stars and I am not sure how to process in Pixinsight, so used an old version of MaximDL to deal with those.

Nonetheless, it was fun processing with modern tools. I have recently completed images of M16 and M17, but the Lagoon is just too low from the UK.

Adrian

M8-RGB-Pr.jpg

• Like 7

Stunning! Lots of detail and nebulosity there! 

The difference with dark skies is notable for me looking at your image. I managed to image M8 this year in the UK, but only just, and I have a limited window to image it and even then it is massively affected by an LED streetlight https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/411320-m8-and-m20-mosaic/ I’d probably need upwards of 15 hours to get a result like yours! 

7 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Stunning! Lots of detail and nebulosity there! 

The difference with dark skies is notable for me looking at your image. I managed to image M8 this year in the UK, but only just, and I have a limited window to image it and even then it is massively affected by an LED streetlight https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/411320-m8-and-m20-mosaic/ I’d probably need upwards of 15 hours to get a result like yours! 

Hi Chris

Thanks. Its remarkable you managed to get anything from the UK, excellent result, it only gets 14 degrees above our horizons and could only get about an hour at this time. It really is down in the murk. 

Yes my image was with M8 overhead, but you have achieved excellent S/N from shooting through the atmospheric muck

Adrian

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, windjammer said:

>>Here is a quick raw to remind you of the days without ABG camera'Here is a quick raw to remind you of the days without ABG camera'

oooh - how long are we talking ??

10 minutes, but was blooming even when I was framing with a few seconds

Adrian

Love it!!!....ah yes the blooms....I remember them well...I had the FLI Max cam (non Anti Blooming Gate version) back then it was super sensitive, over 90% QE without the coverslip... I had to rotate it so the blooms wouldn't line up with my diffraction spikes....was a great camera

3 hours ago, CCD Imager said:

Now we are reminiscing! I once had a Hale camera with a back illuminated sensor 1024 x 1024 array, 24u pixels and without ABG. Those were the days :)

I still have an old Apogee in my shed somewhere with 1024x1024 24u pixels....possibly the same sensor....not even sure if it still works...probably not