Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher tracking mount handset buttons flashing

Hi everyone!

I have a supatrak mount for a while and now it stopped to work. The hand controller keeps blinking the buttons 'set' and 'go' and I'm unable to move the mount. Do anyone have any idea of what is going on?

Thanks!

9 hours ago, eslley said:

Hi everyone!

I have a supatrak mount for a while and now it stopped to work. The hand controller keeps blinking the buttons 'set' and 'go' and I'm unable to move the mount. Do anyone have any idea of what is going on?

Thanks!

The flashing lights on the handset suggests that the motor control board has failed.

11 hours ago, eslley said:

Hi everyone!

Thanks!

With the similar GoTo mounts from Celestron, a common cause of failure was that the mount firmware got corrupted and needed to be re-programmed via the handset connection.  I have no idea how you'd reprogram a Supatrak mount. Good luck with that. ☹️

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the reply. I saw in another post about the supatrak that maybe would be possible to connect a synscan hand controller. I guess I'll try that and see if I can update the board firmware on the mount (and hopefully do not damage the synscan controller as well!)

I have Skywatcher Synscan V3 handsets with my Skymax and Skyliner mounts. These handsets have a reputation for not working if their supply voltage falls a little below 12V, at the handset. As the +12V and 0V return come in through the mount (1st connector pair), then out of the mount (2nd connector pair), along the curly lead and into the handset (3rd connector pair); there are 12 metal surfaces that all have to make good contact.

Even if the power supply has a nominal (unloaded) output of +12V, it may be 11.9V. The mount takes its maximum current when it starts to slew at maximum rate, just as you press the arrow buttons, and at this point, the voltage within the handset will be lower, due to any tarnished contacts and voltage drop due to the resistance of the connecting leads.

The Supatrak handset may have these voltage sensitivities, so it is worth checking all the connections before going for a Synscan handset. If you have access to a good digital voltmeter, it is worth checking the output voltage of your power supply.

Some people use power supplies designed to mimic a car battery on charge, with a terminal voltage up to +13.8V. Tis gives a good margin for lead and connector volts-drops.