Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Spaceprobe 4.5” EQ Help

Hello all, I am very brand new to astronomy and I am very excited. I got this from a friend and am curious as to the quality of this scope. I’m doing my best to learn about agronomy and how to use the equipment, but I’m hopeful someone(s) will be willing to give me advice on my telescope and how to properly use it. I will of course be doing my own research because I want to learn, but any hands-on help and advice from an experienced (of any level, as it would be higher than mine) astronomer would be greatly appreciated. 

Also, the telescope comes with an accutrack, what does this do and is it worth learning how to use? 

IMG_8943.jpeg

IMG_8941.jpeg

IMG_8942.jpeg

Hi Franklin

The Accutrak is a motor that slowly drives the mount so that the telescope follows the stars etc which appear to move across the sky.

It may need adjustment of the speed knob from time to time. if the stars etc start to drift out of the eyepiece view.

The S-N switch has to be set to the Hemisphere you are in.

The mount itself has to be roughly "Polar Aligned", which will be explained in the Instruction Manual:

https://www.telescope.com/assets/product_files/instructions/29081_9-98.pdf

Although you seem to have a better mount than in the instructions, the methods remain the same.

Michael

@Franklin2324 have a look at some of the Astro Baby guides here - https://www.astro-baby.com/astro_baby_telescope_help_and_advice.htm

There's one for polar alignment and one for collimation, both will be very useful to you.

As above the tracking motor helps to keep things in the eyepiece, so it is a very useful addition once you have your scope on target 👍

On 13/07/2023 at 06:07, Franklin2324 said:

I’m doing my best to learn about agronomy

Although very interesting, I'm not sure it will help with the telescope🤣

Good advice above so not much to add. A good starter scope for planets, moon and brighter DSO's.