Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

mercury

starstruk

Set up early tonight to se if i could get a first look at Mercury. Had just about given up when i spotted something in the gap between two houses much further north than i was looking.

Got the scope on it and bingo,my third planet(only had the scope a couple of months). It looked orange to me and although it was shimmering i could make out that it was not quite a full disc,just more than half I'd say.

:)

Hi there - I caught Mercury as well. It was low in the west, visible just before and after sunset. Difficult to see well, as the seeing low to the horizon is usually poor. I was using an 80mm short focal length refractor so not an ideal instrument. Anyway, it was good to see. I was trying to pick up the shape as well, but couldn't make out any crescent.

All the best. Ed

I've been keeping my eye on mercury each clear evening this week.

About two years ago I realised that when it reaches max elongation in the evenings it does so in THE ONLY gap in my horizon between houses :).

This week I have clearly seen the phase on two nights through my 90mm Mak which is a real bonus as Mercury is so low it usually just a 'splodge'.

Archived