Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C6 vs Bresser 127mm Maksutov?

I haven't owned the Bresser. I'd consider the C6 a more versatile scope. Using a focal reducer (or even without one), you will be able to enjoy a wider field of view than the MCT can provide. The extra aperture of the C6 counts. The off-the-shelf C6 that I owned significantly outperformed the fine Intes-Micro 5" Maksutov that I owned... on everything. And an SCT, due to it's large range of focuser travel, is a joy to use with a binoviewer if that matters to you.

I shouldn't have sold the C6!

• Like 2

I own the bresser Mak and it’s a very nice scope , but , being a Mak the corrector plate is a dew  magnet so get a dew shield , also the c6 will suffer from dew  as well . Although I kept the Mak I actually bought a stellalyra 6”classical cassegrain which I intend to use for planetary and Luna viewing . .. the advantage being , NO corrector plate  and so the scope is less likely to be affected by dew . 

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 01:07, The60mmKid said:

I haven't owned the Bresser. I'd consider the C6 a more versatile scope. Using a focal reducer (or even without one), you will be able to enjoy a wider field of view than the MCT can provide. The extra aperture of the C6 counts. The off-the-shelf C6 that I owned significantly outperformed the fine Intes-Micro 5" Maksutov that I owned... on everything. And an SCT, due to it's large range of focuser travel, is a joy to use with a binoviewer if that matters to you.

I shouldn't have sold the C6!

Agreed! :thumbsup:

Though I do not own a Bresser 127mm or the 5” Intes Maksutov’s, I have a Meade ETX 105 and the Celestron C6/SCT. The C6 is extremely versatile. SCT accessories are plentiful. Try finding a focal reducer for a Maksutov is a mission in itself, and the rear threaded port are not an SCT thread. Thankfully, adapter rings are available to convert them to the SCT thread.

The collimation screws are at the rear end on a Maksutov. On the ETX series, they are hidden and enclosed in plastic part of the tube. Therefore to collimate an ETX, you first have to remove the main OTA and find something suitable to mount it on whilst you tweek it, as a dovetail bar is not attached to the tube or has provision for, apart from two 1/4-20 brass threaded inserts on the plastic mirror cell and if you over tighten the dovetail fixing screws, then you have to be somewhat inventive should you wish to attach one.

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.0e83cba8a43fca7212f2ea43c0df5c0f.JPG

Image above of my C6 and ETX105. Note the Jubilee hose rings are holding the dovetail to the ETX.

Edited by RT65CB-SWL