NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY 5III 200M vs ZWO 174MM mini

Hello to the SGL hive mind....

I have recently acquired a C9.25, 0.63 reducer and associated celestron OAG. All the research I have done to date flags the 174MM mini as the guide cam of choice due to the big sensor taking advantage of the bigger prism star field - it also (of course) carries a hefty price tag. Currently I am making do with an Altair GPcam3 290c which is a horrible compromise on many fronts, but has worked moderately well to date as I get to grips with longer FL AP guiding with an OAG.  

There seem few alternate choices that fit the form factor of the 174MM which seems necessary to achieve focus (I can't get "hockey puck" form cameras close enough to get focus when the reducer is in place).  

Given the "ZWO proce premium" I deliberately stepped away from their ecosystem and so am not restricted by ASI air related requirements. 

290M sensor cameras might be an obvious choice, but the QHY 5III 200 has caught my eye as a potentially viable alternative. However there seems a paucity of real world commentary about it as a guide camera in all the usual fora. Has anyone here got any experience of using it. I would welcome their views. Similarly I am open to all suggestions as how best to optimise my set up without breaking the bank and going down the 174MM mini route.

Thanks in anticipation 

J