Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tilt plate help

Going to buy a tilt plate but unsure where I should install it. It seems my filter drawer will be in the way. I dont want it right against the camera because of the dew heater, I think it might be an issue, my tilt reduced greatly when I put  the spacer between my camera and filter drawer. 

Anyway, was looking at the astro essentials 48-48 tilt plate.

IMG_20230626_170409.thumb.jpg.eb7f822d21a53b2257d5cb11c28d7380.jpg

Needs to be as close to the camera sensor as possible. Your heater is doing nothing but warming the outside air so entrapping it behind a tilt plate might make your heater more efficient.

Are you sure you need a tilt plate. Your using a refractor, what appears to be a matching reducer flattener - try small changes to your back spacing. Or even try placing a slip of paper in different positions around the spacer/camera to give a little 'tilt' and see if you detect a change. (Single thickness of printer paper is thick enough about 20mm wide).

It might be you heater that's not an even thickness. Try removing that and see if the error remains...

Sorry lots of suggestions but your basic kit looks outwardly sound.

9 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Needs to be as close to the camera sensor as possible. Your heater is doing nothing but warming the outside air so entrapping it behind a tilt plate might make your heater more efficient.

Are you sure you need a tilt plate. Your using a refractor, what appears to be a matching reducer flattener - try small changes to your back spacing. Or even try placing a slip of paper in different positions around the spacer/camera to give a little 'tilt' and see if you detect a change. (Single thickness of printer paper is thick enough about 20mm wide).

It might be you heater that's not an even thickness. Try removing that and see if the error remains...

Sorry lots of suggestions but your basic kit looks outwardly sound.

I'm not 100% sure i do. I moved the filter drawer away because I did have tilt, due to the heater film. It's better now but I do need to sort out back focus. Then tackle tilt if there is any. I just wondered when I would put it in this setup. 

Results from NINA inspector. sensor.jpg.832c0d35f6e93e30e9232db934c92689.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gary Clayton said:

I ended up with mine Infront of the filter tray as I thought it best to keep the filters as close to the camera as possible.

P6260026.JPG

Are you happy with the 1x flattener? Do you think it's making enough difference in reach to have with the reducer as well? 

7 minutes ago, Gary Clayton said:

Yes I am happy with it, I now have a two pixel scales to play with 1.4 and 1.8 and it seems to correct nicely for my APS-C sensor, that said so does the 0.8 reducer.

I just wondered if the process of breaking down the image train to change would be worth it over just cropping the wider view.