Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO ASI 174MM Mini for Guiding

Graeme

Does anyone use a ZWO ASI 174MM Mini for guiding on an SCT with an OAG?

I was using an old QHY but it struggles now! So I tried my Altair GP Cam290C. the image in PHD2 was a lot larger but it was too dim and 2 x 2 binning is not available with that camera so I can't improve on the number of guide stars available.

The 174MM was recommended by a retailer but I don't want to over stretch the budget unless the results justify it. The ASI174 sensor is good and large but the ZWO OAG mirror and aperture is quite small. So I wondered if the ASI174 was overkill and a lesser camera (ASI120 etc) would suffice.

Graeme

I use the 220mm which works well, nice and sensitive and reasonable size chip, the 174 is an awesome camera which would do the job, overkill yes for the smaller OAG but the OAG L is fine, however the 174 can be used for planetry work and is brill with solar which i use mine on , not so good for DS as the chip is noisy like the 183mm but all useable , the 174 is great expand its use if you go that way to make it worth the expense 

hope that helps a little, BTW the 294 is a nice camera enjoy.

Rich

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rcwinter said:

I use the 220mm which works well, nice and sensitive and reasonable size chip, the 174 is an awesome camera which would do the job, overkill yes for the smaller OAG but the OAG L is fine, however the 174 can be used for planetry work and is brill with solar which i use mine on , not so good for DS as the chip is noisy like the 183mm but all useable , the 174 is great expand its use if you go that way to make it worth the expense 

hope that helps a little, BTW the 294 is a nice camera enjoy.

Rich

That's helpful Rich, thanks.

18 hours ago, Graeme said:

Do you bin it 2 x 2?

With the 290 no, it's bad enough trying to find half a dozen stars at 1000mm focal length at standard 1 x 1. Maybe that's where the 174 larger sensor comes in handy, but I'd only pay the extra for it if I were to use it for ha solar. Edit: the 174 standard body one for solar as it has usb3.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Elp said:

With the 290 no, it's bad enough trying to find half a dozen stars at 1000mm focal length at standard 1 x 1. Maybe that's where the 174 larger sensor comes in handy, but I'd only pay the extra for it if I were to use it for ha solar.

I ask because I posted a guiding question on the PHD Google Groups and the recommendation was to 2 x 2 my 290 to increase the sensitivity.

But I have put my planetary ASI224 in the OAG to try now and I'm waiting for a clear night!

Graeme

Edited by Graeme

17 hours ago, Starflyer said:

I use a 174 with an OAG at 1200fl and have plenty of stars.  I get some vignetting with the QHY OAG prism, but I wanted the sensitivity, large(ish) pixels and large sensor.

Thanks for that. I'm leaning towards the 174 but I'll try my 224 first. 

Mind you, FLO have a 220 on sale now! Starting to loose sight of the forest because of all the trees! 😁

Graeme

• Like 1