Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I thought this cuts out the need to do a three star sky align. £200 for a device that just adds the date and time to my telescope - not worth it. Is there an accessory that allows me not to have to do sky align? Or is there a way to get the scope to start tracking immediately with this device, (which is why I bought it)?

Edited by skywatcher1983

2 hours ago, skywatcher1983 said:

I thought this cuts out the need to do a three star sky align. £200 for a device that just adds the date and time to my telescope - not worth it. Is there an accessory that allows me not to have to do sky align? Or is there a way to get the scope to start tracking immediately with this device, (which is why I bought it)?

Assuming you have a Celestron mount, then the device you want to get is Starsense. It doesn't remove the need to perform telescope alignment, but it automates the process for you.

Starsense

• Like 1

The GPS is more useful if you use the Goto mount at multiple locations.  Otherwise it just sets the time for you, which is handy but perhaps not worth a significant expenditure if you normally wear a watch.

The Starsense saves the faff of doing the alignment, but you still have to set the time (unless you can persuade Starsense and GPS or a phone or tablet to work together).