Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 Pro Timeout in EQMod

I keep getting a Timeout error in EQMod when trying to connect my HEQ5 Pro. I’m remote connecting through a mini-pc with a eqmod-cable. I’ve double-triple checked that the port and baude rate are the same on the pc and in EQMod. The port appears when I connect the cable, so cable seems fine. Also tried a different outlet, because I read it may mean the mount doesn’t get enough power. 
Setting up and working through the handcontroller worked fine, and it was slewing, but I want to use the mini-pc and NINA, so here I am. 
would love to hear suggestions on what I could try.

Edit: latest ASCOM is also installed

Thanks!

Jeroen

Edited by jfrijhoff

Ideally these mounts like being powered from a decent 13v - 14v under load.  Some 12v supplies fall below 12v under load which can cause dropout.  Other documented causes have been certain USB cameras which take all the bandwith and disrupt comms with the PC and mount.  Also the use of long passive USB cables cause drop outs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

Have you got the right drivers and have you rebooted after the driver install?

I did download and install the driver from skywatcher website, the following one: I rebooted at multiple stages, still nothing:

570AC894-D780-4992-8BDA-22C5FA753F91.jpeg.340f6810418887c8af23a85eeac78219.jpeg

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

Ideally these mounts like being powered from a decent 13v - 14v under load.  Some 12v supplies fall below 12v under load which can cause dropout.  Other documented causes have been certain USB cameras which take all the bandwith and disrupt comms with the PC and mount.  Also the use of long passive USB cables cause drop outs.

Thank you for the tips! Yeah, it came with a power supply from a guy that was running it with an Asiair. It was also the supply that was provided together with the mount from a good Dutch astroshop. I tested it also with the handcontroller only during the day, and the mount was slewing everywhere I was telling it to.

I’m using a DSLR camera as main, and ZWO 120mm mini as guide cam. Cables are ‘regular’, not long, not short. They are connected to a mini-pc on the mount, so not traveling meters to a laptop.

I found that 9600 baud is the rate for the EQMOD USB to handset socket adapter with FTDI chipset.

115200 baud works when using EQMOD with a usb direct cable, ie just a simple USB connection cable.

I have 2 mounts , older one only has the handset socket , newer one has the inbuilt USB socket (and presumably interface on the motherboard).

Edited by fifeskies

Sounds like you've sorted the problem.  Yes, any goto mount with a USB port fitted has one of the new generation of mainboard fitted which is ARM processor based and has the Prolific USB - RS232 TTL prolific chipset built in.  The port runs at 115200 baud.  Older goto mounts that lack a USB port  will have older PIC processor based mainboards and require an EQDIR cable to replace the handset.  Ideally these cables should have an FTDI 5volt TTL serial to USB chipset inside, but some may use the Prolific chipset.  When using an EQDIR cable in place of the handset the port needs to be set to 9600 baud whether FTDI or Prolific based.