Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Err.... Whoops I missed!

Good evening guys,

Last night I did my first attempt at guided imaging. My target was the North American Nebula... but I think I missed it as I was eyeballing on the aiming.

Kit: Svbony SV503 70mm ED f4.8 with red/flatt. Skywatcher EQ5 mount guided by a Synguider 2 on a 9x50 scope. Skywatcher Enhanced handset and motors. Pentax K5ii and remote intervalometer.

Exposures: 20 x 2mim iso1600, 15 dark, 15 flat and 10 bias.

Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop.

All help, and tips will be gratefully recieved!!

Cygnus Crop.jpg

Edited by Spad

Some nice detail. If you haven't done so, learn Siril as it's free. It will transform your images at least in the pre processing stage. The image can benefit from background extraction to flatten the illumination/gradient and it's a simple process to do.

Regarding framing, if you haven't got immediate plate solving at hand, you can upload images (even just a starfield) to astap online and see where it's pointing.

• Like 1

I also missed the NaN the other night - it's a busy region of the sky and easy for me at least to star-hop down the wrong rabbit hole. Since then I've hopped to it successfully several times. Another problem is that in the Bortle 8 skies I have, the NaN is so faint there is at most only the slightest hint of the target... 

Siril is definitely worth looking up, I have been trying it for the past couple of weeks and I think it is amazing.

Edited by Ags