Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Win11 mount pc - remote desktop keeps turning off

Hi all

I have a Pegasus Nyx and bought a mele quiet 3 pc as the mount controller for standalone imaging. 

It's been a bit of a mare since setting it up for field imaging; getting a working hotspot from the pc for the mount and laptop to connect to seems to be the hardest part. 

I ended up using connectify to host a hotspot on the pc, removing the win11 issue of Windows disabling the hotspot service if there isn't an internet to connect to. Connectify provides this and starts at boot  but win11 considers this a public network so the existing windows firewall needed updating too to allow access from public networks to voyager and the remote desktop. 

However as the last thing to be be figured, I now find remote desktop keeps getting turned off, presumably by the firewall. 

I've manually updated the local w11  firewall to allow access from public networks for RDP and tested it, but I only find the problem in standalone mode, not when connected to a KVM..

I can ping and curl services on the pc but can't RDP, so have a working network connection. The RDP is refused. 

Anyone got an idea how to make this setting persistent between reboots ? My best idea so far is to enable winrm or ssh access and manually turn it on remotely each time. A lot of a faff...

Thanks in advance 

Mike

This probably isnt the answer you are looking for, but i use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KKIP06AYMDDQ&keywords=mini+router&qid=1684697239&sprefix=mini+router%2Caps%2C274&sr=8-3
Im using a win10 mini-pc and never had any connectivity issues, has really worked without issue ever since i set it up the first time.

Cuiv, the Lazy Geek did a rundown of this very subject recently. The early part of this video is all about sorting out RDP. I only watched it out of general interest and was surprised how much "fiddly" stuff was needed to maintain the hotspot.

I don't use RDP, VNC via home wifi or phone hotspot is my way of doing it.

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

This probably isnt the answer you are looking for, but i use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-iNet-GL-MT300N-V2-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance/dp/B073TSK26W/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KKIP06AYMDDQ&keywords=mini+router&qid=1684697239&sprefix=mini+router%2Caps%2C274&sr=8-3
Im using a win10 mini-pc and never had any connectivity issues, has really worked without issue ever since i set it up the first time.

i started down that route, i have  one but its 5v 2A and I want to remove it from my power budget and wires nest. I  thought i had this sussed by adjusting the local GP tables but its not persistent.

12 minutes ago, skybadger said:

yep, his answer was to use the hotspot from your phone as the internet connection. Thats  poor answer and the reason for connectify. 

Oh, I thought he'd downloaded some applications from github to make the PC's hotspot;  1) launch on startup. 2) persistent.

I must pay more attention!

8 hours ago, skybadger said:

i started down that route, i have  one but its 5v 2A and I want to remove it from my power budget and wires nest. I  thought i had this sussed by adjusting the local GP tables but its not persistent.

It doesn't draw 2A, that's the headroom rating

I run a Slate GL AR 750S with a Mele 2, no issues with windows Remote desktop, draws about 6W in operation

4 hours ago, 900SL said:

It doesn't draw 2A, that's the headroom rating

I run a Slate GL AR 750S with a Mele 2, no issues with windows Remote desktop, draws about 6W in operation

yes but i'd still want to get rid of unwanted external dependencies. :)

13 hours ago, Paul M said:

Oh, I thought he'd downloaded some applications from github to make the PC's hotspot;  1) launch on startup. 2) persistent.

I must pay more attention!

No you are right , I was exaggerating for effect. If the persistent hotspot thing did its job, there would be no need for the additional tool he downloads. He does talk about using  a phone or external device to provide the external network that Windows needs. Windows doesn;t actually need it if you set up the right type of hotspot - the one that Windows prevents users from creating manually.is a Wifi direct hotspot. 

The bit he doesn't address is 

1, hotspots get created by default as public networks and these then get clobbered by the firewall. 

2, Using connectify to create the hotspot creates a wireless direct virtual network adapter that presents as a public network. 

The answer to all of this is to create a powershell terminal as machine or domain admin and type this command :

"get-netconnectionprofile -InterfaceAlias "Local Area Connection* 2" | set-netconnectionprofile -NetworkCategory Private" where "Local Area Connection* 2" is the name of the WIfi direct virtual network adapter on my device. 

which changes the type of the wifi network from public to private, has the side effect of enabling remote desktop access through the firewall ( which I assume you have manually enabled for your user account. 

I've tested this through numerous reboots . 

Hope this helps someone else.

Mike

• Thanks 1