NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope identification

Hi - could anyone please help me with identifying a telescope that was handed down to me. The manual says TAA-1T. And the packaging note says TA followed by something that looks like a pie symbol, 1T. The only thing that comes up when I google it is TAL-1T. I'm slightly confused by the different codes. I'd like to move it onto to someone who will use it, but would like to know what it is first. Any help appreciated - thanks.image.thumb.jpeg.a481d19f5f28bfb419699ea337450f71.jpeg

It is TAL -1T. It was a hugely poplular model of telescope in USSR in the 1980s.

The letter confusing you is the cyrillic letter 'L'. These telescopes are made in Russia, hence the name. There is a lot of the history in this thread:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Nik271 said:

It is TAL -1T. It was a hugely poplular model of telescope in USSR in the 1980s.

The letter confusing you is the cyrillic letter 'L'. These telescopes are made in Russia, hence the name. There is a lot of the history in this thread:

Correct. Not TAA, Тал in lower case. 

To the OP, it's a good telescope, I had one and enjoyed it very much 

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

Two features that confused the hell out of a myself when I was a beginner.

Some TAL-1's had non-standard focuser and eyepiece dimensions, so standard 1.25" eyepieces would be too loose in the focuser.

The setting circles were for the southern hemisphere, so setting on a known star and moving to the target co-ords just wouldn't work.....

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2023 at 16:33, Roy Challen said:

To the OP, it's a good telescope, I had one and enjoyed it very much 

Yes definitely.
Mine was in storage for some years. I pulled it out last year and gave it a 'sort out' for sale.
Really well put together. Good mechanical engineering. Excellent optics.
Manufacturers of modern under mounted and mostly plastic scopes take note🤣

To the OP. Are you sure you want to move it on, rather than take a peek through it?
Even just looking at the moon will produce the 'wow'.