Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Laser Cutters and Engravers Thread

powerlord

I thought I'd start a thread - since I just got one !

After a brief flirt with a 5w one I decided it was too slow, and got this one : at just about the same price:

https://store.creality.com/uk/products/10w-cr-laser-falcon-engraver?spm=..collection_bd11fe12-7736-46e6-b954-f71e3a0c7c8c.albums_1.1&spm_prev=..index.products_display_nav_1.1

The cheapest 10w available I think, and this one gets great reviews.

Seems to be some sort of May sale, as I'd just ordered the thing from amazon for 100 quid more before I saw it at this price on the site direct! So fyi in case someone is persuaded to open their CC - clearly the link above is direct - no funny bizness with affiliate links.. and I've not got it yet, so if you do buy and its a dog - tough. 🙎‍♂️

Now, once you add a honeycomb bed, air assist and protective enclosure with extraction fan, you are up to 530 quid (use discount code TIER20 for a discount) but this is about the price most other bare 10w machine are.

The most powerful diode cutters are 20w but up at over 1000 quid, so this is a very good deal - and 10w will cut 8mm ply in one pass slowly, and engrave stuff really fast.

Im a long time (11 years) 3d printer(er), and have used this for tons of astro projects over the 2 1/2 years i've been doing it, and I think the laser cutter will be the same - you can very quickly make very pricise things with them. And of course make fancy engraved stuff - Im looking forward to trying an engraving of one of my astro pictures on perspex or maybe glass or slate.

So hence I thought I'd start a thread and will give a general user experience here for folk interested and then also walk through some of the projects I think of - hopefully at least of some which will be astro related.

One initial 'astro' project I think I'll do is get a nice black slate and engrave it for my Observatory. Ok.. that's stretching astro.. but hey!

stu

• Like 1

I've been using a CO2 laser cutter for the past 5 years or so; they are certainly a worthwhile addition to any workshop.  Much quicker than 3d printing and really versatile. I typically cut birch ply or acrylic and have also engraved slate and glass with good effect. Astro related projects: I've used the laser cutter to make the large diameter setting circle and encoder components for the 16 inch Dob, Bahtinov mask, and a solar finder.  For general woodworking/machine shop use they come into their own in running off very neat router templates which would otherwise be difficult or time consuming to achieve manually. One of my most useful pieces of workshop kit. 

Jim 

• Like 1

sounds like a proper bit of kit. Im just tickering, so figured the 10w diode was a good starting point - and better for engraving probably (on wood anyway as can do variable power, which I understand CO2 can't do?).

Hopefully you can give me some tips when I get stuck - all new to me. I've bought a bunch of birch and basswood ply, some glass coasters and slate coasters so will soo how I get on. Gonna start with some simple boxes with engraving, and go from there.

It'll be going in the garage workshop unfortunately what with all the fumes to extract, whereas the 3d printers are all in my house workshop - so a bit less convienient, but I'm gonna set up a webcam and remote access to the laptop out there so can monitor remotely and keep it safe.

It's astounding though that they sell 10w, even 20w diode lasers now on amazon with no enclosures, etc - some of the pics even show kids looking at the thing being cut.. fun for all the family - 'let's all get blinded daddy'.

• Like 1

Re ventilation and eye safety, you've got it , these are the two priorities to sort out. For ventilation I installed an in-line axial fan ducted to outside.  I got the fan from Screwfix (similar to the link below), it was easy enough to install if a little noisy but manageable. Your webcam to allow remote monitoring is a really good idea, I'm paranoid when leaving mine on a longer run - a good smoke alarm is also sensible I guess. Re eye safety - make up operating procedures for yourself right from day one - treat it as though it is a work situation and force yourself to stick to the rules you make.  With the solid state laser it should not be too much of a problem but with the CO2 unit I had to rewire the electrics, especially earthing, to make it compliant (safe).  Have fun they are really cool, just like ThingVerse there are a number of sites that host and trade pre made designs - before you know it you will be making Halloween lamps, Christmas decorations etc.  I use InkScape for design, not my favourite but it works. I tend to use Fusion 360 for 3d print designs and have always meant to try that for the laser projects as well but never seem to get round to it. 

Jim 

ScrewFix - Axial Fan

Laser Ready Templates

1 hour ago, saac said:

Re ventilation and eye safety, you've got it , these are the two priorities to sort out. For ventilation I installed an in-line axial fan ducted to outside.  I got the fan from Screwfix (similar to the link below), it was easy enough to install if a little noisy but manageable. Your webcam to allow remote monitoring is a really good idea, I'm paranoid when leaving mine on a longer run - a good smoke alarm is also sensible I guess. Re eye safety - make up operating procedures for yourself right from day one - treat it as though it is a work situation and force yourself to stick to the rules you make.  With the solid state laser it should not be too much of a problem but with the CO2 unit I had to rewire the electrics, especially earthing, to make it compliant (safe).  Have fun they are really cool, just like ThingVerse there are a number of sites that host and trade pre made designs - before you know it you will be making Halloween lamps, Christmas decorations etc.  I use InkScape for design, not my favourite but it works. I tend to use Fusion 360 for 3d print designs and have always meant to try that for the laser projects as well but never seem to get round to it. 

Jim 

ScrewFix - Axial Fan

Laser Ready Templates

yeh axial fan, ducting and outside insect cover ordered. yeh i wasn't sure about smoke alarm, as even with extraction I thought it might just go off all the time.

I got a 100mm fan too - but 35 squid from amazon. did you stick it in middle of hose? or is it better towards exit or entry ?

ill be using affinity designer I reckon. i had a look at LRT bust most paid. I use solidworks for 3d. i'll have to see if it does laser stuff. I suppose once I work out the kerfing requirements its easy enough to make my own boxes and stuff. Prefer that to downloading things if I'm honest.

In the early days of 3d printing I used to share my designs of thingiverse - had some really popular stuff on there, but I got sick of idiot comments I couldn't delete so decided I'd had enough of sharing and deleted all my models and account.

56 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Which model have you got saac?

Got a plan for a dob base and yours looks minted. and I'm about 90% certain I can talk the wife into a laser cutter lol.

Hi @Ratlet, I must admit I had fun making the big setting circle, the laser cutter worked really well on it.  It started off as one of these but has since been modified out of all recognition, as you do, the laser tube is still original ;)  The solid state units are the better option now (simpler operation), more are becoming available.  The good thing about these early CO2 units was that they came installed in a cabinet so it made exhaust extraction and air assist easy to sort out.  Another advantage of the solid state units is that they are more compact, smaller footprint and easier to store I guess. They do sit well alongside a 3D printer just giving that flexibility but your safety procedures do need to be nailed down. Show the boss all the lovely things you could make and you will have approval in no time :) 

CO2 Laser Cutter

Jim 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

yeh axial fan, ducting and outside insect cover ordered. yeh i wasn't sure about smoke alarm, as even with extraction I thought it might just go off all the time.

I got a 100mm fan too - but 35 squid from amazon. did you stick it in middle of hose? or is it better towards exit or entry ?

ill be using affinity designer I reckon. i had a look at LRT bust most paid. I use solidworks for 3d. i'll have to see if it does laser stuff. I suppose once I work out the kerfing requirements its easy enough to make my own boxes and stuff. Prefer that to downloading things if I'm honest.

In the early days of 3d printing I used to share my designs of thingiverse - had some really popular stuff on there, but I got sick of idiot comments I couldn't delete so decided I'd had enough of sharing and deleted all my models and account.

These axial fans are pretty strong so I have my inlet about 1m from the machine's exhaust (outlet).  It then discharges through about a 3m run of rigid ducting to the port in the wall.  It will more than do the job for you but you definitely need it, the fumes from ply are pretty nasty.  Even if you want to get up and running quickly you could use some flexible ducting which can be stored away when not in use.  Re the smoke alarm, I'm using a standard domestic alarm and so far have had no problems with it setting off due to fumes.  You could go for a heat alarm if it were a problem I guess.  My 3D printer is about to get relocated alongside the laser cutter. At the moment I have it in my study but the fumes from it can be a little worrying so It will benefit too from the extraction. I'm actually looking at a replacement for it (currently have an Ender 5).  I think I will be going for your remote viewing capability to monitor the prints when I replace it. :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, saac said:

Hi @Ratlet, I must admit I had fun making the big setting circle, the laser cutter worked really well on it.  It started off as one of these but has since been modified out of all recognition, as you do, the laser tube is still original ;)  The solid state units are the better option now (simpler operation), more are becoming available.  The good thing about these early CO2 units was that they came installed in a cabinet so it made exhaust extraction and air assist easy to sort out.  Another advantage of the solid state units is that they are more compact, smaller footprint and easier to store I guess. They do sit well alongside a 3D printer just giving that flexibility but your safety procedures do need to be nailed down. Show the boss all the lovely things you could make and you will have approval in no time :) 

CO2 Laser Cutter

Jim 

that's a good price though. when you add just the cheap cover type enclosure I am, air assist and extractor you get to the 520 of mine. so 370 quid more is getting you 4x the power. If you need the power and speed its obviously a far more solid bit of kit.

I wonder @ratlet if some examples of nice engraved slate coasters and the like might better persuade the boss to allow the purchase ?

The engraving  was a vector drawing which are supposedly cleaner to use, but I think I'll try a regular image etch of the thing as its difficult to bring the shades out with the vector.

Also of course it's a negative. Will try negating the image next time and engraving.

The drawer is one of 3 for a custom sized cabinet for the motorhome. They come put 0.1mm perfect, and just tap together, though I'll add some glue.

I'll prob change the face for some oak veneer mdf I got, but wanted to just try a quick cut first.

The slate came out weird at first until I realised I was melting it and needed to go much faster. That one was done at 700cm/min at max of 70% power, less for lighter bits.

The 3mm ply was cut at 40cm/minute at 100%.

Basically not sure if something was wrong with the 5w one, but this is about 6 times more powerful at whatever I do. Amazing tool.

20230517_180022.jpg

20230517_175832.jpg

20230517_175819.jpg

I have access to laser cutters at work, a 1KW, a 2KW and two 4KW.

This months BBC Sky at Night magazine has a project for building an EQ mount for a camera, they use plywood but i am going to make it out of aluminium.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good to see you're still getting use out of it.

The missus gets lots of stuff online that is made from laser cut plywood. boxes/shelves/models/etc so she is in favour of getting one.

We're thinking about getting one of the fancy 40W diode units that have just been released.  Looks like it will cut up to a reasonable thickness of ply (3/4in) without it taking forever and burning the wood up too much.

I like the sound of the co2 units but there isn't an option for feed through on the cheaper ones.

Yeh I would say, you need a surprisingly large amount of ply to make drawers and stuff, and the results do tend to look a bit 'look what I made in woodwork class mum'. But they are sturdy, and the benefit is that you can customize the sizes, etc to be precisely what you want.

40w will be pretty mental. I had to do quite a bit of work to ensure the smoke gets sucked out with my 10w.. with a 40w you'll need some serious exhuasting.

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

Yeh I would say, you need a surprisingly large amount of ply to make drawers and stuff, and the results do tend to look a bit 'look what I made in woodwork class mum'. But they are sturdy, and the benefit is that you can customize the sizes, etc to be precisely what you want.

40w will be pretty mental. I had to do quite a bit of work to ensure the smoke gets sucked out with my 10w.. with a 40w you'll need some serious exhuasting.

Going to pick up an enclosure for it as well.  Fortunately the missus is very much on board with the maker movement.  So long as it does the job, she's happy.  Mostly it's stuff made from 3-5mm ply for small crafting items.

With the 3D printer I've noticed that there are some things which it does well but there are plenty of others that some thin wood and some glue wood do a better job off.

Primarily I want it for some wood working projects I've got planned.  Going to build an EQ Platform and a better base for my dob.  I don't want to use the laser for cutting the wood but I think it could do a good job for inlays and engraving on it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/09/2023 at 15:53, powerlord said:

Your inlay picture you made, was that an inlay or marquetry?  Like how thick were the bits of wood you used?

I'm humming and hawing over what to get and fortunately I have plenty of time to choose, probably till next year.  I've been researching a lot of the reviews online and I think a lot of them are highly dubious.  Mostly it comes down to them not really showing the quality of the cut they are getting.  I suspect that 6-9mm will be about the max I'll be able to cut and get workable pieces out of, this is absolutely fine for me to be honest.  Perfect for small gifts and the like.  Large projects such as my planned rebuild of my dob base can use the circular/table saw and presents a good excuse to get a router 🙂.

Found a neje unit which although has a weaker 20w laser, has a much tighter and square beam Vs other 20/40w units, which nominally translates into cleaner more efficient cuts.

its 3 and 4mm. some is ply, some is solid wood, and some is veneer on MDF.

I just put it all together like a jigsaw, then put a bit on top, flipped it over, and glued a backing bit of MDF onto it.

My creality will cut 6mm nicely. not sure if I've tried anything thicker. I get super clean cuts - as an example - here's a bahtoniv mask I cut yesterday - it is for a 49mm 100mm FL lens, so tiny tiny thin lines - probably about .3 of a mm each.

it did it no problem.

I did wonder if I'd be wishing I'd bought a 20w or more, but I've not really - it does everything I want.

20231006_185451.thumb.jpg.30e17e185b81f219be6d8f0157c198e3.jpg

• Thanks 1