Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M106 @ 700mm

Yawning Angel

This is put together from 5 hours luminance, 2 hours each for RGB and 4 hours of Ha, across 3 nights, Bortle 6 and a practically full moon. 

I had a bit of a mare trying to tame the background, which was a mess. I used the Normalize Scale Gradients script in Pi to simplify the job, but it's had to be processed harder than I'd like. Should there be the opportunity, I'm going to re shoot the RGB subs, sans moon!

APM 107x700mm / asi1600mm

I love all the extra fuzzies that accompany this FOV (slight crop for composition)

M106-L5hrRGB2hreachHa4hrb.thumb.jpg.e6c6ef1baead8cc0a01f6bd67141d025.jpg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

This is put together from 5 hours luminance, 2 hours each for RGB and 4 hours of Ha, across 3 nights, Bortle 6 and a practically full moon. 

I had a bit of a mare trying to tame the background, which was a mess. I used the Normalize Scale Gradients script in Pi to simplify the job, but it's had to be processed harder than I'd like. Should there be the opportunity, I'm going to re shoot the RGB subs, sans moon!

APM 107x700mm / asi1600mm

I love all the extra fuzzies that accompany this FOV (slight crop for composition)

M106-L5hrRGB2hreachHa4hrb.thumb.jpg.e6c6ef1baead8cc0a01f6bd67141d025.jpg

Nice! The background looks a bit warm to me, rather on the brown side, but you've managed to flatten it.

After DBE I tend to use Curves to attack residual background irregularities. I put a fixing point on the Curve at the value of the brightest background pixels and fix the curve above that with plenty of fixing points. I then lift the bottom end of the curve, beneath these points, to lift them up part way towards the brightest ones. Unlike noise removal, this introduces no pixel-to-pixel communication and looks pretty natural.

Olly

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The background looks a bit warm to me

Thank you Olly! Now that it's against the forum pure black background that the warmth of the background looks so obvious 🫣

I had a go in Photoshop as you suggested, but didn't have any joy - it's something I'll practice and see it in action for myself. It sounds like a potent technique, especially with my Lancastrian skies! Your comment did however point me back to a simple step that I might have missed in PixInsight, which was the Background Neutralization. It seems to have helped tame the beast a little:

M106-L5hrRGB2hreachHa4hrd.thumb.jpg.ce45fe84d6f8175e4fbb3a626806dda5.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

Thank you Olly! Now that it's against the forum pure black background that the warmth of the background looks so obvious 🫣

I had a go in Photoshop as you suggested, but didn't have any joy - it's something I'll practice and see it in action for myself. It sounds like a potent technique, especially with my Lancastrian skies! Your comment did however point me back to a simple step that I might have missed in PixInsight, which was the Background Neutralization. It seems to have helped tame the beast a little:

M106-L5hrRGB2hreachHa4hrd.thumb.jpg.ce45fe84d6f8175e4fbb3a626806dda5.jpg

Sorted, I'd say.

Olly

• Thanks 1