NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus March 27/ 2023

mikeDnight

6 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Excellent Mike. One of my observing goals for this year is to see some cloud detail on Venus. Sketches like this are a great guide on what to look for, thank you :) 

Just an observing tip for Venus Neil. Try looking for bright areas such as at the poles and bright areas along the terminator first (all very subtle). Then the dusky wisps of cloud may become discernible. (again all very subtle).  I've found thet an 80A light blue filter can enhance the brights, while a 21 Orange filter can enhance the dusky clouds. Observing against a blue sky around sunset may subdue the blinding brilliance of the planet, making detail easier to discern even without a filter. Filters may also appear to settle any turbulence to some degree. I'm sure with perseverance you'll succeed! :happy11:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Just an observing tip for Venus Neil. Try looking for bright areas such as at the poles and bright areas along the terminator first (all very subtle). Then the dusky wisps of cloud may become discernible. (again all very subtle).  I've found thet an 80A light blue filter can enhance the brights, while a 21 Orange filter can enhance the dusky clouds. Observing against a blue sky around sunset may subdue the blinding brilliance of the planet, making detail easier to discern even without a filter. Filters may also appear to settle any turbulence to some degree. I'm sure with perseverance you'll succeed! :happy11:

Awesome. Thanks Mike, great tips! I bought a 47 Violet filter a few years back. I’m fairly certain this was to aid seeing the clouds of Venus. I didn’t have any success back then but my observing skills, and maybe even my patience, have improved a little since then. I’ll be sure to post my cloud hunting adventures… Not something you’ll hear from an astronomer often 😂

• Like 3

Nice to see Venus observing going on, sadly for me I have not managed any until now,
The filters and tips from Mike are what I followed a few years back and with practice pay off.
But as you say Neil, wanting to observe cloud is not the norm….
Just remember these are not just clouds, these are Venusian Clouds!

• Like 2