SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astroasis Electronic Focuser

PeterC65

I just spotted this new product on the FLO website: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astroasis/astroasis-electronic-focuser-with-clutch.html

1677695080396112.thumb.jpg.ccb24346aa9031987ca8495a85fa36f0.jpg

It's an electronic focuser with a clutch so that you can disengage it and still use the original manual focus control, plus it seems to fit very neatly in place of one of the focuser knobs, just extending the focuser shaft a little. The manufacturers product information is here.

I've always been put off from fitting an electronic focuser because I still use my scopes for visual and want to keep the manual focus control. This focuser is quite expensive but would fit the bill.

Does anyone have experience with it?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PeterC65 said:

I've always been put off from fitting an electronic focuser because I still use my scopes for visual and want to keep the manual focus control.

I use an electric focuser for visual. Even if the focus is well off, with the focuser set to fast it’s rapid in its movement of the draw tube. I like the look of this little electric focuser you have highlighted but my concern is if it’s robust enough. 

There is video of the focuser on the manufacturers website and it looks well made and robust.

There isn't much information about what focusers it will fit and instead some advise about measuring your particular focuser before purchasing. There are adapters for Celestron SCT scope which look very neat. I wonder if they will fit my Skymax 127?

The only downside seems to be that the focuser needs a separate 12V power supply as well as the USB connection.

5 minutes ago, PeterC65 said:

There is video of the focuser on the manufacturers website and it looks well made and robust.

There isn't much information about what focusers it will fit and instead some advise about measuring your particular focuser before purchasing. There are adapters for Celestron SCT scope which look very neat. I wonder if they will fit my Skymax 127?

The only downside seems to be that the focuser needs a separate 12V power supply as well as the USB connection.

Yes that’s a shame but must electronic focusers do need a separate 12v supply. The only ones I’ve used that don’t are the old Moonlite stepper and the skywatcher unit, both of which have a 9v battery in the handset which make them great for visual usage. 

This one doesn’t seem to come with a handset but does mention smartphone control, but light on details though. 

• 1 year later...

BTW, I do visual currently and have a skywatcher electric focuser on a st120, and a peg on a knob on  Skymax127. The skywatcher focuser works but seems a bit cheaply made so had been considering making my own up until I came across this.   I first found it on aliexpress even cheaper but the sellers wouldn't ship to the UK.  I happened across that seller the other day and nearly fell off my chair when I was able to put it in my basket AND check out.   It sat waiting to ship for a week and I thought, 'they won't ship,  my order will get canceled' but Friday it shipped.   Due in 2-3 weeks..... we shall see what actually arrives.   I'm hoping I can hook up a 12v battery and control it from my phone.... I'll need to do some modifications in sure , which with 3 young kids and no spare time could mean it sits in its box for a looooong while but at the price....a chance worth taking. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

Looking hopeful it will arrive soon,  tracking shows it with local delivery agent and now cleared customs. 

I ordered a filter from AliExpress a few months ago at a "too good to be true" price and that's exactly what it was, so it will be good to know what you receive.

Looking carefully at the description, I think what you may have bought is an adapter for the Oasis focuser rather than the focuser itself, but if you do receive the whole focuser then let me know and I'll get one too.

It's a pity it doesn't take its power from USB though. That would make it perfect.

Edited by PeterC65

54 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

Yes I find it hard to believe its the whole focuser but the picture of the package I selected was focuser, clamp, gear and screws.  They say free returns as well.... again we shall see!

The problem I had with the filter was to do with AliExpress playing fast and loose with photos. In the photo the filter was clearly marked Optolong but an unbranded one arrived.

• Like 1

Following your link, it looks like typical deliberate confusion of what you will get at what price. If you scroll through all the images you eventually come to one with a ref "standard kit" which shows the focuser,  clamps, screws etc at a price currently discounted to £178 excluding taxes etc. With duty and taxes added I suspect it won't need massively cheaper than buying from FLO. If you've paid significantly less than this I wouldn't get too excited about what will be in your parcel when it arrives

Arrived.  Yep it's a expected really,  the screws,  gears,  mount brackets but no focuser - all the bits in the photo except for the focuser.   I'll now be testing the free returns. 

• Confused 1