Narrowband

Celestron Evo 6 WiFi question.

Have a celestron Evo 6, had for a couple of year now and have never needed to use the WiFi function. However I recently bought a auto align and thought I would give the WiFi a whirl. I found that it's pretty woeful, did a bit of digging about and there are quite a few reviews where it's mention the internal antenna being too small. Been looking at WiFi dongles. The celestron was recommended by Rother Valley Optics. At about £140 a pop are they any good. Does anyone have experience of these. Any other recommendations?

Cheers.

44 minutes ago, gary756 said:

Have a celestron Evo 6, had for a couple of year now and have never needed to use the WiFi function. However I recently bought a auto align and thought I would give the WiFi a whirl. I found that it's pretty woeful, did a bit of digging about and there are quite a few reviews where it's mention the internal antenna being too small. Been looking at WiFi dongles. The celestron was recommended by Rother Valley Optics. At about £140 a pop are they any good. Does anyone have experience of these. Any other recommendations?

Cheers.

It's worth downloading the CFM utility from the Celestron website and checking for firmware updates first. There have been some updates that have improved wi fi stability (depending on WiFi version) so try the cheap option first!

Another for the Celestron dongle.  Use it with my CPC1100 and works perfectly.  You can set it to create its own Wi-Fi network and then connect your phone to that or you can set it to connect to your router.  Gives options if you are observing from home or at a dark site etc.

• 1 month later...
On 15/03/2023 at 10:45, gary756 said:

Cheers.

Question where are you using it if you’re out in the field where no one is around then the wifi should work fine, buy if you’re at home even if you but a wifi dongle it may not work well. The wifi in these scopes doesn’t work very well in areas where there is a lot of wifi traffic now if you’re at home one thing you can do is put it in access mode (I believe) and connect it to your own home wifi network through the skyportal or skysafari app by programming in your wifi network name and password and it will use your home network to work this only works at home though.

Edited by StarDuke82