NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stella Lyra 24mm UFF

bosun21

I am in the process of buying the 30mm Stella Lyra UFF and was considering adding the 24mm. Has anyone tried this particular focal length? I already own the ES 24mm 68 degree, but I am not overly pleased with the performance at the edges. Is there any comparisons between these two eyepieces? Thanks 

I've been weighing up getting the StellaLyra UFF 30mm for a while and in the process of doing that I was directed by @Louis D to the extensive eyepiece reviews of Ernest (here). Ernest has an index page listing the measurement data from all of his reviews but it is a webpage. So I took the liberty of converting the index data into Excel which with its data sorting and filtering functions enables me to ask questions like "show me just the 28mm to 35mm eyepieces with greater than 66° AFoV and order them with increasing edge distortion at F4". I've found this very useful.

Here is the spreadsheet:

Ernest Eyepiece Reviews.xlsx

Looking at 22mm to 26mm eyepieces with an AFoV between 65° and 84°, the TV Panoptic comes out best with 12' of edge distortion followed in second place by the ES 24mm 68° with 20', while the APM 24mm (the SL is a clone of this) is half way down the list with 30'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterC65 said:

I've been weighing up getting the StellaLyra UFF 30mm for a while and in the process of doing that I was directed by @Louis D to the extensive eyepiece reviews of Ernest (here). Ernest has an index page listing the measurement data from all of his reviews but it is a webpage. So I took the liberty of converting the index data into Excel which with its data sorting and filtering functions enables me to ask questions like "show me just the 28mm to 35mm eyepieces with greater than 66° AFoV and order them with increasing edge distortion at F4". I've found this very useful.

Here is the spreadsheet:

Ernest Eyepiece Reviews.xlsx 33.57 kB · 0 downloads

Looking at 22mm to 26mm eyepieces with an AFoV between 65° and 84°, the TV Panoptic comes out best with 12' of edge distortion followed in second place by the ES 24mm 68° with 20', while the APM 24mm (the SL is a clone of this) is half way down the list with 30'.

I reckon i should just stick with my ES 24mm 68 degree eyepiece then. Thanks for the links, most illuminating.

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I am in the process of buying the 30mm Stella Lyra UFF and was considering adding the 24mm. Has anyone tried this particular focal length? I already own the ES 24mm 68 degree, but I am not overly pleased with the performance at the edges. Is there any comparisons between these two eyepieces? Thanks 

The 24mm UFF has the distinction of being glasses-friendly, which is not the case for the TV Panoptic or ES 24x68.  And, it is optically better than the 24mm Hyperion.

Other than that, it is not in the same class as the 30mm.  The 30mm is a better eyepiece in every way, and rubs shoulders with eyepieces costing 2x-3x as much.

The 24mm is about average for its price point.

More to the point is that the magnifications provided might be a bit too close together anyway.

At 1000mm focal length, they are 33x and 42x, too close together to be a useful change.

At 2000mm focal length, they are 67x and 83x, still too close together to be a useful change.

The difference finally becomes useful in a scope of 4000mm focal length, but there are very few scopes out there with focal lengths that long.

Even my friend's 32' only has a 2800mm focal length.

If you have a scope of 2000mm focal length, the next logical step is to a 17.5mm Baader Morpheus.  That is a jump of 47x, which is a very useful step up from the lowest power

that yields a larger image and a significantly darker background sky.  I admit to having an eyepiece in between the 30mm and 17.5mm, but it is skipped over 90% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

The 24mm UFF has the distinction of being glasses-friendly, which is not the case for the TV Panoptic or ES 24x68.  And, it is optically better than the 24mm Hyperion.

Other than that, it is not in the same class as the 30mm.  The 30mm is a better eyepiece in every way, and rubs shoulders with eyepieces costing 2x-3x as much.

The 24mm is about average for its price point.

More to the point is that the magnifications provided might be a bit too close together anyway.

At 1000mm focal length, they are 33x and 42x, too close together to be a useful change.

At 2000mm focal length, they are 67x and 83x, still too close together to be a useful change.

The difference finally becomes useful in a scope of 4000mm focal length, but there are very few scopes out there with focal lengths that long.

Even my friend's 32' only has a 2800mm focal length.

If you have a scope of 2000mm focal length, the next logical step is to a 17.5mm Baader Morpheus.  That is a jump of 47x, which is a very useful step up from the lowest power

that yields a larger image and a significantly darker background sky.  I admit to having an eyepiece in between the 30mm and 17.5mm, but it is skipped over 90% of the time.

Thanks for your input. I already have the full set of Baader Morpheus eyepieces and I use the 17.5mm a great deal. I have just ordered the 30mm UFF. I seldom use my ES 24mm x 68 any more. My scopes are FL 2000 SCT & 1500mm 12” dobsonian.

Would the 30mm be a significant upgrade over the superview that comes with the Stellalyra dob?  I was thinking about getting a flat field to see what it's like.  Would it pair well with my 130pds?  Just checked and it would apparently give a 3.23° FOV which sounds mighty tempting.

Edited by Ratlet
Spelling
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Would the 30mm be a significant upgrade over the superview that comes with the Stellalyra dob?

I have both. There's a huge difference :wink2: The superview is what it is - cheap and cheerful - and blurred round the edges :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I have both. There's a huge difference

+1 over here. I have a GSO Superview 26mm that came with my 10” Revelation f5 Dob (old version of the SL Dobs). The view is wide but quite distorted.   The SL 30mm UFF is in a different league and made huge improvements in the view in both my f5 Dob & ST80. I reckon at its price it’s an amazing bargain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

I have both. There's a huge difference :wink2: The superview is what it is - cheap and cheerful - and blurred round the edges :biggrin:

I’m not talking about the SuperView. It’s the 30 & 24mm UFF.

1 hour ago, SuburbanMak said:

+1 over here. I have a GSO Superview 26mm that came with my 10” Revelation f5 Dob (old version of the SL Dobs). The view is wide but quite distorted.   The SL 30mm UFF is in a different league and made huge improvements in the view in both my f5 Dob & ST80. I reckon at its price it’s an amazing bargain. 

I’m not talking about the SuperView. It’s the 24 & 30mm UFF eyepieces I’m talking about.