Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Messier book

kuvik

Dear Forum Members!

A friend of mine and I made a book about our Messier observations. Basically it is an album that contains our photos and sketches of the Messier objects including a short description of all of them.

About the book:

With the spread of astrophotography, and especially digital astrophotography, we get a very different picture of deep-sky objects than what our ancestors could have seen for centuries by peering into their telescopes. Fortunately, many people still observe visually today, but most astrophotos are taken with long exposure times and are published with strong post-procession. The result, although very spectacular, has little to do with what we can see in the telescope. In many cases, novice telescope owners are disappointed that the deep-sky objects seen in the eyepiece are not as bright as they saw in the photos, in addition, most of them appear completely colorless.

With this album, we want to bring the objects of Messier’s list closer, to make them look in our photos and drawings as – with some perseverance – we can see them in amateur telescopes.

It can be downloaded from the Vega Astronomical Association's website.

http://vcse.hu/online-visual-messier-guide-online-vizualis-messier-kalauz-horvath-t-varga-gy/

I hope you will find it interesting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 24/02/2023 at 10:10, CraigT82 said:

Downloaded and donated. Very interesting and nicely presented with the black background so I can view on my phone without destroying dark adaption. Thank you!  

Thank you!

I`m glad you like it and find it useful.

• Like 1

What a wonderful publication filled with careful work,, a true labor of love.  It is refreshing to see these objects portrayed close to the way I see them even in my modest 130mm Newtonian reflector, without the image stacking, filtering, or colorizations that permeate the literature and chat rooms these days.  This is a true field guide that sets realistic expectations for the visual astronomer, and is a must have resource for every novice.  Congratulations on your fine work.     

On 01/03/2023 at 02:42, Logos said:

What a wonderful publication filled with careful work,, a true labor of love.  It is refreshing to see these objects portrayed close to the way I see them even in my modest 130mm Newtonian reflector, without the image stacking, filtering, or colorizations that permeate the literature and chat rooms these days.  This is a true field guide that sets realistic expectations for the visual astronomer, and is a must have resource for every novice.  Congratulations on your fine work.     

Thank you for your kind words!

On 01/03/2023 at 18:19, Grogfish said:

@kuvik Fantastic way to help support your club, it looks like a great book too. Donation on its way to Vega👍

Thank you, also on behalf of the co-author and the club.

• 1 month later...