Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

availability of oow expansion glass

What availability? Years ago ( about 15) I could get off the shelf low expansion glass from several locations. Now I've been trying for weeks and I get no replies whatsoever. Anybody got an idea where I can get this stuff from? I need a 20cm disc to make a mirror. It's got to be low expansion.

Thanks

phil

Vlad, I think I may have a Pyrex one, but it has been used to grind a mirror, and still has the Optical pitch adhered to it. It depends what thickness you require. I also have a new 6" Pyrex disc.

You could try Oldham Optical too.

Ron.

Barkis, thanks for the offer, it's just what I need. Let me know how much and I'll get it to you.

Cheers

Phil

Give me a little time to clean off the old lap, and I will inspect it for bubbles. I wouldn't want you to break into one at a critical time and spoil the mirror.:)

I take it you mean the 8" disc is the one you want.?

Ron.:)

Phil, I have cleaned the pitch off the blank. It is Pyrex, and it is

210mm in diameter, and 27mm thick.

It has been used to grind a blank intended as an optical flat, so the ground side is plat, but the squares are ground into the glass itself. Probably a millimetre deep. You can grind them out if you wanted that side to be the mirror surface, or I recommend using the reverse side which is fine. There is a small piece out of the edge on the good side, but by the time you chamfer the edge it won't impinge on the optical surface.

I have attached a couple of pictures. let me know what yoiu think.

Ron.

post-13213-133877365403_thumb.jpg

post-13213-133877365413_thumb.jpg

That looks great Ron. 210 mm is ideal. I have a complete Maksutov lens at 200 clear aperture, so the extra 10 mm will be useful in capturing the full field. The squares will be generated out, and the curve made on the best side. The opposite side will be curved convex to thin out the edges. You should see my generator, Heath Robinson has nothing on me!

Phil

£25 is fine by me! Thank you. Where do I send the cheque, unless you take paypal, that's easier. How do I send personal email to give you my address?

Thanks again,

Phil

£25 is fine by me! Thank you. Where do I send the cheque, unless you take paypal, that's easier. How do I send personal email to give you my address?

Thanks again,

Phil

I will send you a PM with my Paypal info.Phil.

Ron.

You have paid by Paypal Phil. I sent a confirmation to you by PM, Also, the parcel was posted to you on Saturday Morning, but being a Bank Holiday Weekend, there could be a delay in delivery.

Cheers.

Ron.:)

Archived