Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flaming Star Nebula in Ha

wimvb

The moon is shining bright, and for once without a halo. But it's too bright to do any LRGB imaging, so I'm just collecting Ha data tonight.

First target was the bright nebula IC 405, the Flaming Star Nebula in Auriga.

This is 80 minutes of Ha (20 x 4 minutes at gain 200) with the 190MN and ASI294MM, Baader 7 nm Ha filter

Processed in PixInsight.

I extracted the stars from the Ha master and inserted them into the G and B channels to create a colour image with white stars. Then added a touch of noise in order to give the image a more natural look when zoomed in. The image is also rotated 180 degrees from its more common orientation to give a more pleasing composition. (This is the orientation from my scope and camera. So I didn't have to rotate anything.)

FlameNeb_Ha_final.thumb.jpg.3fa11831d380162ce3c22e9e8da41334.jpg

• Like 10

I really like false-colour images made from mono Ha! Yours looks very clean and tidy as well!

I have only ever botched it without starless processing, but something potentially interesting that makes the nebula pop a bit is letting the Ha fade in saturation towards the highlights, if it's something you'd like the look of for your pics anyway.

I do like the moody red-only look

• Thanks 1