Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount upgrade advice

Hi all, I have owned the skywatcher explorer eq2 130/f900 for around 2 weeks now. I absolutely love the scope but if I'm honest the mount is really putting a bit of a dampner on the whole setup and experience. I've had some good advice from a few kind members, but it's still got alot of play in the mount. It's like the scope is too much for the eq2. Even when I'm delicately trying to use the focuser, the target is darting around my eyepiece like a pinball, preventing me from getting good focus. I've double checked everything and the weak point seems to be the mount. Unless I have a faulty mount.

So what I'm thinking is maybe upgrading the mount by buying a used one. I've had a bit of a look and would like to spend between £100-£200. Now I know that's not alot, but I think I could get something reasonable for that. Also the cheaper the better if I can save a few quid. 

Open to recommendations and prepared to wait for the right one. Just having a brief look I've seen the Skywatcher eq3-2 deluxe and the Bresser Messier EXOS 1/EQ-4.

Also seen this on ebay, screenshot attached.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Cheers

Rich

Screenshot_20230202-103543.jpg

Edited by fullmoon

Is the mount the weak point or the tripod? They're two different things. I suspect the tripod you have is the weak point but the way they're connected it's likely less hassle free to get both.

The EQ 3-2 is a solid option especially with the thick section steel tripod, you also have the option to add motors to the Dec and ra if you want to add tracking down the line. There should be brass spindles with a flat edge on sticking out the axis which is where you attach the motors.

If you're simply doing visual an alt az mount like an az5 may be better, or if the EQ mount can, set it at 90 degrees and use it as an alt az.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Elp said:

Is the mount the weak point or the tripod? They're two different things. I suspect the tripod you have is the weak point but the way they're connected it's likely less hassle free to get both.

Hi, cheers for the reply, I'm pretty sure it's the mount. I've stood next to the scope, with both axis locked, just lightly prodded the scope with my index finger and you can see the mount has play in it. Not sure if they're all like that, but I've got nothing to compare it to. 

The 3-2 doesn't have such an issue, and with the tripod it dampens quite quick. Anything above that really will do. The EQ 1 and 2 really should not be available for sale considering their construction.

If you want goto (which I'd recommend) you can find great used deals on the likes of eq5 or ioptron gem/cem.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

The 3-2 doesn't have such an issue, and with the tripod it dampens quite quick. Anything above that really will do. The EQ 1 and 2 really should not be available for sale considering their construction.

If you want goto (which I'd recommend) you can find great used deals on the likes of eq5 or ioptron gem/cem.

Yeah, if I'm honest, I'm slightly annoyed I've been sold it from the shop. As if I'd have known about this issue, I would have either opted for something else or bought the scope 2nd hand and then upgraded the mount. Now I have a brand new eq2 mount and tripod going to collect dust............ or until I get my 2nd scope 🤫🤫😂

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

Would this be in my budget? But also, I do quire like the idea of finding and tracking things manually. Almost like I'd be learning the geography of the skies as I go. 

9 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

For the price you are quoting I would go for the Skywatcher AZ4. With the 1.75” Steel legs it would easily accommodate your particular telescope.

That looks like a good solid product with great reviews. I'll have to do some research on that type of mount as I'm still learning and only really been studying the equatorial style as that's what I have. Just to see the main differences really, pros, cons etc. Thank you 

I had this exact setup when I started in 2014, I know exactly why it's frustrating you! Carrying it around led to being poked and prodded by all parts of the mount...

I switched it up by moving to a dobsonian mounted scope, and I notice that if the AZ4 is on the table as a mount switch, you could buy a skywatcher heritage 130 dob for the same price, if not a little cheaper.

Dobs I think are much more rigid against touching the ota and against wind, vibrations are less noticeable and settle faster. Even my chunky HEQ5 EQ mount wobbles when I touch the focuser of my frac.

Hope you continue loving your scope!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

I had this exact setup when I started in 2014, I know exactly why it's frustrating you! Carrying it around led to being poked and prodded by all parts of the mount...

I switched it up by moving to a dobsonian mounted scope, and I notice that if the AZ4 is on the table as a mount switch, you could buy a skywatcher heritage 130 dob for the same price, if not a little cheaper.

Dobs I think are much more rigid against touching the ota and against wind, vibrations are less noticeable and settle faster. Even my chunky HEQ5 EQ mount wobbles when I touch the focuser of my frac.

Hope you continue loving your scope!

I did consider that scope before I purchased the Explorer, but it just wouldn't suit my surroundings ATM.

I think I need to get out to an astro club and have a look at stuff 1st hand. Maybe it can help manage my expectations as well as give some valuable experience. 

15 minutes ago, fullmoon said:

I did consider that scope before I purchased the Explorer, but it just wouldn't suit my surroundings ATM.

I think I need to get out to an astro club and have a look at stuff 1st hand. Maybe it can help manage my expectations as well as give some valuable experience. 

I take it the EQ mount is providing you with extra necessary height then?

In such a case, if you find in a few more weeks or months (depending on how often you manage to keep observing in that time, clouds and all) that you still very much enjoy observing but find this scope and its wobbly mount frustrating: You could consider doing what I did and upgrading to a 250mm or 200mm dob, which would have more height than the 130mm dob

You can also in theory put a block of wood or somesuch underneath a dobsonian to boost the height.

At the end of the day if you know a tripod mount is best, I won't ague with you, but I do personally quite like the dob format for its cost & rigidity.

An astro society or club visit would be a good idea!

From my experience I’ve found annoying play in both the mount and tripod. I had a similar setup and at first upgraded the mount. It was an improvement but that aluminium tripod was terrible at damping out the slightest vibration & movement. The dual legs vibrated kind of like guitar strings - once they started it took an age for the vibrations to damp down. 

Upgrading the tripod to a secondhand EQ5 steel tripod sorted that out! I still have the aluminium tripod - it’s makes a great travel tripod and I’ve taken it on aircraft too. 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1