SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Recommendations needed for flexible network cable.

I was in a bit of a rush recently as I needed a new cat5 cable, so I turned to amazon and ordered a well reviewed 'rhino' brand cat6 cable (couldn't seem to find a lowly cat5e anywhere!)

It's absolutely horrible.  All curled up tight and about as flexible as thatcher on milk.

So I'm hoping someone can point me towards some nice silicone or other flexible cables that will gracefully curve about my rig and not add undue tension to the connectors.

Ta.

I have older Rhino cat 5 cables which are flexible but it seems their latest cables advertised as cat 5 are exactly the same construction as their cat6 with extra cable sheaths compared to standard cat5 making them stiffer.

It may be worth trying the flat cat6 cable like this which bends easily. It's possibly not as robust but may be better for your requirements. It seems to be usually available in longer lengths though, 5m or more though you may find shorter ones.

Alan

Edit: These are available in shorter lengths but you need to buy a pack of 12 in pretty colours. 🙂

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 1

Yes, I think the higher spec has a 4-way spliter that runs the length of the cable to separate the twisted pairs and this makes them super stiff.  

I've bought nice cable from Canford before and made my own, but I only need the one 2-3m length this time. 

13 hours ago, MG01 said:

Yes, I think the higher spec has a 4-way spliter that runs the length of the cable to separate the twisted pairs and this makes them super stiff.  

I've bought nice cable from Canford before and made my own, but I only need the one 2-3m length this time. 

You could have a look at braided cat5 cables. I have some braided (USB) cables that I use on my mount and they remain flexible in the cold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

You could have a look at braided cat5 cables. I have some braided (USB) cables that I use on my mount and they remain flexible in the cold.

Good plan. I was slightly concerned about them getting mucky as this is for my main mount PC connection so it drags on the ground a bit.  But I don't think a little mud is too bad.  

Now, I asked someone who works for the BBC in outside broadcast about cold-weather cables, and ended up getting this https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/46-9315_CANFORD-CABLE-RJ45-RJ45-CAT5E-F-1m-Green

It's floppier than a Mancunian's haircut from the 90s, and it's been out in many sub -10 nights.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, osbourne one-nil said:

It's floppier than a Mancunian's haircut from the 90s, and it's been out in many sub -10 nights.  

Made me laugh...😆

I've used Canford cables before and they are nice...Just a pity they have a £35 ex vat min order and then a minimum £8 delivery charge.. :( 

These Van Damme flexible cat5e cables, available in many lengths may be suitable though they aren't cheap. They are used in music stage productions so likely do lay flat on the ground. I've used Van Damme cables before though not network cables and they are high quality.

They are specified as unshielded though have STP stamped on the cable which means each pair is individually shielded. The unshielded refers to the RJ45 plug on the end which doesn't connect the cable shields to ground. Not a problem in your case.

Alan

Edit: The description does say it's UTP cable which is unshielded, so the picture likely isn't the actual cable used. UTP should be more flexible than STP anyway.

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

These Van Damme flexible cat5e cables, available in many lengths may be suitable though they aren't cheap. They are used in music stage productions so likely do lay flat on the ground. I've used Van Damme cables before though not network cables and they are high quality.

Those look good.  Hopefully it's a buy once last for many years so not too worried if they're a bit more expensive so long as they are flexible and don't coil too much and snag.

• Like 1