Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) Friday 20/01/23

This was from Friday 20/02/23, far too early, at around 5:45am. Have been busy and just had a little go at processing the original iPhone images that I took. More for fun than anything else. The result has brought out the coma plus some of the dust tail. Must have another go at observing this comet but clouds, life, some trees and buildings have got in the way. I really enjoyed observing this and the original images (even without the faff of “processing”) help record and memorise the event.

Southampton back garden, Bortle 7. Skywatcher 200p Dob on EQ platform. StarGuider 25mm eyepiece, iPhone 14 Pro with basic smartphone adapter. Single 30sec exposure in RAW via the stock camera app. Basic processing in LightRoom and WaveletCam.

8AABED9E-6AF5-42DE-9A86-B58F530E2E45.jpeg.251d6c53c50770b8c4442146d3061b3d.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 10

On 28/01/2023 at 20:49, Kon said:

That looks great and very clean. I wonder if iPhone has a similar auto stacking function as  my pixel that does 4min.

Thanks! The iPhone has something called Night Mode that does some auto stacking, but only up to 30 seconds. From what I can tell it’s not aimed at astrophotography. I get the impression it’s more for the likes of night time pictures of cities, camping trips and festivals.