Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any news on 64bit Astroberry?

AstroMuni

17 minutes ago, dph1nm said:

My 1000D works fine with the indi gphoto_ccd driver. It never played well with the specific canon_ccd driver though (messed up the pi usb ports)

In many ways. they are the same. No problem running a Canon DSLR on  indi_gphoto_ccd driver, but the specific indi_canon_ccd offers some advantages. I'm not a (seriuos) hacker, but I've seen images from my 600D roll into my HP EliteDesk at less than a second, on a 5 metres extension cable. On my current setup, a RPi4, it needs 4-5 seconds. No big deal, the Pi is rock solid, but there is something going on behind the scene, hardwarewise. In the race for speed, especially on all these new SBC's, the width of the data transfer lines starts to be the culprit. If you take shots at 2 or 3 minutes, this doesn't matter, but if you run a Canon on a StarTracker, with exposures measured in seconds, it becomes annoying. Try a little port-swapping, maybe plug in a hub. Or even disconnect your wireless keyboard/mouse or ethernet, strange tings can happen!

23 hours ago, Rallemikken said:

In many ways. they are the same. No problem running a Canon DSLR on  indi_gphoto_ccd driver, but the specific indi_canon_ccd offers some advantages.

The problem I had was it with replacing the 1000D battery during the observing session. The indi_canon_ccd driver would never recover from powering down the camera to replace the battery, to the extent that it required a reboot of the pi to get the system back. No such problem with indi_gphoto_ccd. I believe it was related to the fact that the canon driver allows for multiple cameras. This was a year ago or so, and I now have external power for the camera, so this is no longer an issue for me. So it maybe that the latest canon driver has been fixed.

NigelM

1 hour ago, dph1nm said:

The indi_canon_ccd driver would never recover from powering down the camera to replace the battery, to the extent that it required a reboot of the pi to get the system back.

That's right, same issue as with my 5D MkII when I used the faulty battery adapter. The indiserver process is designed to pick the devices up after a failure or disconnect, but that doesn't always work, at least not with the indi_canon_ccd driver. But a reboot is not requiered. Kill the process that runs the specific server and start it up again. When I run a dedicated Pi as a indiserver only I SSH into it and start each server in it's own terminal window. For the Canon it will be "indiserver indi_canon_ccd". If things go sour, you just terminate the process with Ctrl+C and restart it. Camera should connect and work as expected. If the server is started automatically you have to find the right process ID (ps aux | grep indi) , kill it (kill <PID>) and restart it (indiserver <your_indi_driver>). If I understand this right, the indiserver process spawns once for each driver. Each server instance is independent of the others, bur several can be started at once with one command: "indiserver indi_canon_ccd indi_eqmod indi_asi_ccd" and so on....   Once up and running, they are seperate processes.